cannister filter media

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fergie615

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hi everyone

I read a couple of posts about filters and noticed some people don't run carbon. I run a fluval 304 with carbon in the lower two sections, biomax in the mid sections and chem pure in the top sections.

Looking to see what everyone else runs and any suggestions.

Thanks...Ferg

For me a canister filter does the best job with rigid biomedia, like bioballs or ceramic noodles, reusable sponges and floss. Floss clogs quickly and I think it needs to be changed more often than most people (including me, most of the time :wink: ) service their canister filters. I don't fool with carbon except temporarily as a way to remove medication.

Does running more biomedia improve water parameters? Or just give more area for more bio filtering? I seem to have trouble keeping my nitrates down. I don't know if im overfeeding or not, but they hover around 20-40.

Does running alternative media provide any benefits? Like carbon for removing meds as tankgirl stated.... Chem Pure was recommended by a collegue who runs the same filter for keeping water clear.

Something else popped into my thoughts about the 304, with a stated flow of 260 gph would you run it wide open in a 55 gal. Also a question about discharge angle and water depth.

I don't run mine wide open because it seemed like alot of flow. As for angle it runs from the back left corner to the front right corner. Depth of output is about 1".

Thanks for the input

Hmmm...since I removed my Carbon Filter yesterday because I put in meds, my water believe it or not is more clear. I think once I'm done with my meds, I'm putting back in my carbon filter to remove the meds, then after a few days with water changes, taking it back out.

That's a good plan, razmataz, the carbon gets "clogged" on it's surface in a matter of 4-5 days or so and then it is no longer effective, but it will polish the water somewhat and there's nothing wrong with that.

fergie615, I'd go ahead and open up the Fluval and get more water flow, but you do not have a huge load in there so it might not be necessary.

That said, your best bet for nitrate reduction is more efficient filtration (opening up the Fluval) and making sure there is not uneaten food on the bottom, and of course, more water changes. It is possible you have nitrate in your tap water, so check that out.

I would personally not be concerned with nitrate of 40-80. If you are not overfeeding and you are doing water changes and you have adequate filtration, then I don't believe the nitrate is going to hurt the fish. It can often be a "clue" of other problems, like poor filtration or accumulated debris, so be certain you are up to date on tank maintenance.

*Smacks self* The very best way to handle nitrate is with healthy plants, and I can't believe I did not say that first!

Then I ask.....the penguin 125 on my 10g has that carbon insert......but then again the insert also seems to serve as the foam filter as well......if I remove the carbon when medicating in this tank should I install some filter floss/foam to protect the bio-wheel...

TankGirl.... With that said, in my entirely fake planted tank with std gravel and a colormax 40w bulb, is there a plant that would be benificial to my tank that could handle that environment.

When using those filter cartridges I generally cut a slit into them and shake out the carbon (much easier when dry) and use the floss alone. You can save the frame and make your own floss covers by rubber banding a piece of filter floss around the frame, which is a lot cheaper than those cartridges. Use them with carbon for removing meds, like you say.

As for your 40w light is this over your 55gal? Under 1wpg you are really going to have a hard time growing anything at all. If there is any way to add another 40 watts that would bump you up into the low light range and you could grow crypto sp. anubias sp., java fern and java moss, and possibly aponogeton bulbs (Walmart carries them).

tankgirl.....yes I have just the std perfecto single lamp 40w fixture over my tank....I did just look up a coralife retrofit to change the hood two twin bulbs, that would get me a bit closer.

Do fish react differently to intensity of light, ie going from 40w to 80w.

Thanks for the help

I think everyone in your tank would be perfectly cool with more light, but be sure the dwarf gourami have plants (fake for now) that go all the way to the surface so they'll feel comfortable.

I use lavarock bought at home depot for 4.99 a bag in place of carbon. My water parameters always run great.

Back
Top Bottom