Canister filter media question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ericbrookey

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just upgraded to a Sunsun 302 cannister and I'm wondering if I needed to keep the 2 fine pads in the top 2 trays with the ceramic media and bio balls?

From top to bottom I have:

Blue coarse pad
White fine pad
Bag of carbon

Bag o' rings

Bio balls not in a bag

I took the fine pads out then rethought maybe I should have left them in for additional filtration. I'm running this on a 20g planted.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

I only have aqua-one canister filters so hopefully someone else can help. On mine I have doubled or trippled the fine wool filter pads (depending on flow) for better filtration.

I use carbon every so often in an internal filter. Purigen could be another option for yourself.

Seachem. Purigen

I only have aqua-one canister filters so hopefully someone else can help. On mine I have doubled or trippled the fine wool filter pads (depending on flow) for better filtration.

I use carbon every so often in an internal filter. Purigen could be another option for yourself.

Seachem. Purigen
Thank you. I looked into Purigen. Seems promising. I am just using the carbon to get rid of some of the tannins from my new dw but might switch it out.

I guess more pads are better than less. Putting them back in.

I use purigen over carbon every time. I can tell you that it doesn't seem promising, but IT IS PROMISINGLY!!!

The fine filter pads should be the last step before the water exits to the tank. Honestly is an optional step.

I have it in both my planted tanks, but not the bare bottom gold fish.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

The fine filter pads should be the last step before the water exits to the tank. Honestly is an optional step.

I have it in both my planted tanks, but not the bare bottom gold fish.

Thanks. I've heard the opposite so I put the coarse pad and fine first in line. But I put the other fine at the top of each basket. What's the preferred order of media for planted? This is my first cannister.

Thanks. I've heard the opposite so I put the coarse pad and fine first in line. But I put the other fine at the top of each basket. What's the preferred order of media for planted? This is my first cannister.

Mines are always setup like this.

Water in... Coarse, fine, carbon/purigen/peat moss, bio balls/biomax, polishing pad.. Water out.

My canister is water in, coarse sponges, medium sponge, biomax, lots of filter floss polisher, and water out

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I fill mine like this, water in, sponges, wool, bio media, chemical (if used), water out.

You want the wool to prevent premature clogging of everything that follows.

Thanks for all the advice. I see there is no right or wrong way so I will find what works best using all the suggestions.

My eheim 2228 only have a sponge, and the 3 baskets filled with bio. Lol

Thanks for all the advice. I see there is no right or wrong way so I will find what works best using all the suggestions.

I like canisters because I can fiddle around with different media. Having said that, I do run two just in case I stuff one up.

Back
Top Bottom