cannister filter media question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't think I'm following the problem. I've cleaned mine a few times and never gotten water all over. When you lift the handle at the pump like LW said that closes off the tubes (so they don't leak, and so you don't have to prime the pump after cleaning) You can then take the pump to the sink to clean it.

I also drilled more holes into the spray bar to cut down on the current. It also helps to point the holes at the back of the tank. When you turn down the flow, your turning down the GPH of filtering. I would not turn that down allot.

You can also heat a couple inches of the tubing in hot water, they become soft and slide right on with little effert.

TwoHobbies said:
I don't think I'm following the problem. I've cleaned mine a few times and never gotten water all over. When you lift the handle at the pump like LW said that closes off the tubes (so they don't leak, and so you don't have to prime the pump after cleaning) You can then take the pump to the sink to clean it.

I also drilled more holes into the spray bar to cut down on the current. It also helps to point the holes at the back of the tank. When you turn down the flow, your turning down the GPH of filtering. I would not turn that down allot.

You can also heat a couple inches of the tubing in hot water, they become soft and slide right on with little effert.

True, but when you disconnect the tubing between the spraybar and the flex hose, you are going to make a mess. I've done it once myself. But when I had to add in my inline heater, I just removed the whole unit, intake and output, and did it over the sink.

Ok I see now. The picture in the instructions makes it seem like you can just take it off anywhere...but the tank is in my room so I don't want water all over the walls. I'll be sure to take the intake and outtake to the sink next time.

I would not turn that down allot
I turned it down all the way. This filter is going on a different tank...my new 55g which isn't set up yet. Since I have some time before I can set the tank up (gathering up all the equipment) I'm going to run the filter on my existing 55g to build up some bacteria. I already have an AquaClear 70 on the tank which has extremely high current (on the lowest you can adjust it), so I don't need too much more current. My fish were already looking mad about the AC current. I am going to keep it turned down all the way on this tank, since I have another filter. When I put it on my new tank, I'll get the spraybar in a good place and probably only have the flow adjusted halfway.

TwoHobbies said:
I would not turn that down allot.

Actually, you can turn it down quite a bit. The filter is rated for much larger tanks, and will still be 100% effective in that tank at half-flow.

also to reduce flow, point spraybar towards glass at an angle.

The flow is fine now. I turned it up a little actually. I have a film on top of the water now...not sure what it is since I do have surface agitation. Anyone know how to get rid of it? I had to leave the top off on one side (standard All-Glass top) because it wouldn't fit all the way with the intake and the bar of the spray bar...if that makes sense. I'm wondering if that caused the film (having the top off). I'm gonna get a glass top eventually so the tubes will fit behind it.

Anything I can do to get rid of the film? The spray bar breaks up the stuff, but its still there.

I did add Melafix a couple weeks ago....only once though. The film just developed like a day or two ago though. I looked last night and it looked better, but the lights were off, so I couldn't tell for sure. I will check when I get home this evening.

I put a sponge in front of the output on my HOB filter, so the flow isn't as strong. That may be why there is a film, since the output isn't causing as much surface agitation. I'm not sure. I adjusted the sponge a little last night though, so I'll just have to see how it looks tonight. I will try the paper towel trick if its still there. I also need to do a water change tonight, so maybe that will help too.

Back
Top Bottom