Cannister filter on 10 gal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eggie100

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 10 gallon planted tank. There's only a few rasboras in it. I'm currently running an internal power filter by Fluval. I was toying the idea of replacing the internal filter with an external cannister filter. Is this type of filtration overkill? I'd like to add s few more small livestock.

Thanks in advance.

Don't know much about a canister filter but a decent HOB would work fine
(Emperor, Penguin, or Aqua clear). I assume you are looking to regain your tank space that is being taking up from the internal filter....

IMO eggie, you can never over filter a tank.

I think a canister is going a bit overboard for a 10 gallon--too much money and too much flow. I agree with overstocker, a small HOB filter would be fine. Check the packaging and get something suggested for 10-20 gallons.

You could go either way.
A HOB filter will do the job but if you dont like that look a canister filter will also work.
Just get a small one like the Fluval 104 it filters 125gph as the small HOB's filter 100gph the biggest difference is the price.
The HOB's run $12-$13 and the Fluval 104 is $55 at DrsFosterSmith.com.
HTH

I think I would stick with a HOB filter. I would use a penguin mini without carbon for a planted tank, just use floss in the back. Also keep the flow turned down just enough to turn the bio-wheel.

Back
Top Bottom