Cannister Filter Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blackhorse

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have learned a great deal in the past few weeks. Thanks to everyone for all the help! :) I have some more questions about my cannister filter. (Odyssea CFS4).

Is there anything I have to do to keep it working properly? How often do I have to replace whats inside? How do I shut down the cannister before opening it? Also, what are the various (media?) for and is everything in there necessary? I thought I read that I might be able to take the carbon out. What other maintenance is required?

Moved to hardware/equipment forum:

Weekly cleanings are all that's needed. That involves unplugging the filter, opening it up, rinsing any sponges or other waste trapping sources well in used SW, replacing everything back, filling with SW water, and plugging back in.

GAC is ok for occasional use but not for more then 2 weeks and make sure you buy quality GAC (Black Diamond for example) since cheaper brands tend to leach po4.

IMO Purgien is a much better media. This is a synthetic polymer that removes proteins, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. It works very quickly and lasts for a couple of months. It can easily be regenerated with household bleach and can be reused about 8-10 times before needing replacement. I regenerate mine every 3-4 months as needed.

not familiar with that filter but if doesn't have any you want to put a tap on the intake and return pipe, otherwise water will siphon from the tank when you remove the cover.

Great filter. Mine is running 2 years trouble free. With regular maintenance it will continue to work properly. Of course servicing the filter depends on your tank size and bioload( fish stock). I service mine once a month. All the media aside from the carbon should not need replacing. I don't use carbon, I have live plants. To shut it down:First, with the pump running, turn the valve lever on the intake side(large hose) to the crosswise position(against the hose). Wait just a few seconds. Now shut off the pump. Next, turn the valve lever on the return side(small hose) to the off position (crosswise or against the hose).This will prevent spillage. Unscrew the valves from the head and pull them up.You will see the o rings attached to them. Now take the cannister away. Lift up on the clips to remove the head from cannister body. Some recommend rinsing the media with tank water. I have used tap water for years with no problems. I only rinse the filter pads with tap water and leave the bio material alone so it can maintain beneficial bacteria.There are different size bio-noodles on filter material in the middle 2 trays. I rinse the coarse and fine material in the top tray and material in the bottom tray. Before reassembling, fill the cannister with water. This makes priming easier. Attach head carefully. Reconnect valves, turn them on (levers in line with the hoses). Push priming button 4 or 5 times until you see few bubbles come out the intake and return tubes. Turn on pump. Be sure water is returning into tank. Crystal clear water.

Back
Top Bottom