Cannister help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Betta Platy Addict

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I'm buying a 56 gallon cube (need the narrow footprint but want the volume). I have a AC30 hob on my 20g (getting rid of the 20g) so I will use that media to seed the new filter. Possibly run that filter too just because I have it!

What cannister should I get? Looking at cascade 700 and fluval 306. What brand/model should I get? Peaceful tropical fish (platy, neon, cherry barb, guppies etc)

Is an ehiem truetemp 300w heater ok? My thoughts are more is better than less with wattage? But don't want to cook the fish either...

Sorry for typos. Way too tired.

TIA

Ugh I hate when people start with "so". My teenage step-siblings are rubbing off on me.

*scrub scrub scrub*

I'm personally biased towards Fluval based on my pleasant experience. You'll have hobbyist swear by other brands.. it's very subjective. You should go on Amazon and read the reviews and decide for yourself.

Edit:
Also watch some YouTube vids of how people clean there's, assembly, etc.

It's all personal preference, I personally think they are all easy to clean. My only quarrel with fluval are the ribbed hoses. Gunk tends to get stuck in them and when I stop and start the filter, the quick surge sends the crap spewing out the output. But I love my fluval too, I have a 304 and Fx5. I also have a rena xp4 which is awesome

For what it's worth, I've got 5/8" (id) smooth bore hose and stainless hose clamps hooked up to my Fluval 404. (Bought the filter on eBay and it didn't come with hoses.) My only issue so far is that the hose from the tank tends to collapse from the pull of the filter. I'm doing some hard plumbing to make the flex run really short and expect that problem to do away.

For what it's worth, I've got 5/8" (id) smooth bore hose and stainless hose clamps hooked up to my Fluval 404. (Bought the filter on eBay and it didn't come with hoses.) My only issue so far is that the hose from the tank tends to collapse from the pull of the filter. I'm doing some hard plumbing to make the flex run really short and expect that problem to do away.

Oh my! I am definitely not that handy! Ha!

I got an AC 70 hob today to use w the fluval c3 hob. So that is up to 120 gallon on my 56. Should be ok for now since my stock is small. This way I can research and pick the best fit for a canister. Leaning toward rena xp3 (???) since it seems easy and is more affordable than the others.

I just don't want to make a decision in a rush and the AC30 isn't a huge investment.

Oh my! I am definitely not that handy! Ha!

I got an AC 70 hob today to use w the fluval c3 hob. So that is up to 120 gallon on my 56. Should be ok for now since my stock is small. This way I can research and pick the best fit for a canister. Leaning toward rena xp3 (???) since it seems easy and is more affordable than the others.

I just don't want to make a decision in a rush and the AC30 isn't a huge investment.

Definitely go for the xp3. It's quiet, lots of media room, easy to assemble, self prime, and powerful. I have an xp4 on my 55g and it runs fantastic. And just in case you didn't know, the filter comes with a spray nozzle and not a spray bar now. But that doesn't really matter IMO. Still a great and powerful filter.

Back
Top Bottom