Cannister VS HOB filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kmgriff72

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a Fluval 404 filter that I used on my SW tank. I was just wanting the opinion of everyone of what type of filter they preferred.
My Fluval did a good job and is not that difficult to work on just time consuming and more complexed probably than a HOB filter. I was wanting to know if I should invest in a HOB filter and ditch the Fluval for ease and less hassle?

Cannisters are better filters IMO. I use both HOB's and cannisters but if you already have the Fluval, stick with it.

cannisters are better because most have options to change media choices. HOBs are noisy, are an eyesore, and required MUCH more cleaning than my cannisters.

I prefer canisters. They are much more efficient than a hob. But if you are filtering a small tank (anything under 29 gal), go with a hob. Otherwise, splurge and get the canister.

I just got a cannister filter, an XP3, and it is super quiet. Much quieter than my HOB. The new XP3 is for my new 55g, but I'm already planning on getting another for my current 55g.

Well, I guess I will stick with the Fluval since it does work good (and I paid $150.00 for it and have only used it 3 months) and maybe add a HOB filter to go with it if I decide to do fancy goldfish since they are so messy. Another question, do yall prefer air stones or a bubble wand? I am new to this but I figure they both serve the same purpose, getting oxygen in the water. I saw a treasure chest that you hook an air pump to and then the bubbles come out the top and it was pretty cool. I guess it wouldn't hurt to have both. I am also wondering if I need to put a powerhead in my 75 gallon just to keep the water circulating?

Actually, my understanding is that the bubble wands/airstones actually add very little oxygen to the water. They do, however, create circulation which stimulates the uptake and distribution of oxygen from the surface of the water.

Ok, well maybe I will get one or the other (bubble wand/air stone) and add a powerhead for circulation since I have such a big tank. Thanks for the info.

Is there a rule of thumb regarding flow rate (gph) between a canister and a HOB.

For a 50 gal tank, what flow rate would be needed for a canister vs. a HOB.....or are they both the same? Is one more efficient than the other?

Is 250gph the same whether it's a canister or HOB?

gallons per hour is the amount of gallons it turns over per hour. I don't know how that could be measured any other way.

So in short... no, its exactly the same regardless of filter type.

Alshain said:
gallons per hour is the amount of gallons it turns over per hour. I don't know how that could be measured any other way.

So in short... no, its exactly the same regardless of filter type.

I think the question had more to do with filter efficiency - i.e. if a cannister is a better (more efficient) filter than an HOB, how does that change the GPH you need to run through it.

Personally, I think that it's mostly irrelevant, but I believe that was the intent.

src said:
I think the question had more to do with filter efficiency - i.e. if a cannister is a better (more efficient) filter than an HOB, how does that change the GPH you need to run through it.

Personally, I think that it's mostly irrelevant, but I believe that was the intent.

Its not about how much filtering it does as much as it is how much water it can filter in a specific amount of time. The amount of filtering it can do depends on the type of media you choose to use. As stated before, cannister filters have more filter media types to choose from. However, the difference between media is probably minimal. Media differences are mostly there for other reasons, such as AC or no AC, or how much surface are for bacteria.

Okay, so for strictly mechanical filtration, HOB at 250 GPH and a canister at 250 GPH should be the same. I'm not sure I agree with that. Think about it.....you can can fit so much more filter media in a canister as opposed to a HOB....probably 4-5 times as much. That alone leads me to believe that all GPH is not equal. Especially when you consider the fact that a canister is putting that same 250GPH through 4-5 times as much media as a HOB would.

For a hob filter I like to keep my tanks at a 10x turnover rate. For canisters I try to stay around 5 or so. They are much more efficient and you do not have to have the higher rates.

Fishyfanatic said:
For a hob filter I like to keep my tanks at a 10x turnover rate. For canisters I try to stay around 5 or so. They are much more efficient and you do not have to have the higher rates.
I rememebr reading someting similar somewhere, I just can't remember where I saw it. That sounds about right though...

for the money, Eheim is the best you can get IMO, you can get them with UV sterilzers and heaters in them and they have massive compartments for media, but if you want something cheaper, fluval's are nice

Back
Top Bottom