Canopy for 36g bowfront---have cats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flatty

Aquarium Advice Regular
Are there canopies around for 36g bow fronts that would do a better job of protecting fish from cats that don't behave? The cats seem to be into everything once everyone is asleep and the last thing I want them to do is go fishing.

Are there canopies around for 36g bow fronts that would do a better job of protecting fish from cats that don't behave? The cats seem to be into everything once everyone is asleep and the last thing I want them to do is go fishing.

A glass top made for your aquarium ought to support a cat's weight and will seal the aquarium off decently. The only concern would be the cats knocking the light off the tank, or possibly lifting the glass top with their paws from the back, where it is slightly open for the filter and heater. Only the strongest cat could lift it though. I think you'll be fine.

good advice. now to find one for a bowfront. Amazon has them but they are pricy and the other places I have never heard of. I love the look of the tank but wow almost wish I had gone with a more standard size

good advice. now to find one for a bowfront. Amazon has them but they are pricy and the other places I have never heard of. I love the look of the tank but wow almost wish I had gone with a more standard size

Does Big Al's exist in your state? They usually have glass tops for every size tank or can order them in. Semi-decent pricing.

never heard of them so I guess that's a bad sign.

I know they own some fish farms in Florida so I'd imagine they have retail locations there as well. If not I'm sure you can order online?

Bigalsonline.com ships anywhere in the USA as far as I know.

info@bigalsonline.com Email them and ask if they have a hood or glass top for your tank that they can ship you.

You could also go to a local glass shop and have them cut you one.

Another solution is to get the sticky mats and cut those to fit on top of your tank. Leave it on for a few weeks and cat shouldn't go up there again (at least not for a long while). They hate the sticky and will not jump up as long as they think it's still there.
Used that to keep my cats off the counter tops and from going behind the tv.

First let me say this my wife has 2 cats yes I hate cats I will not lie... anyway....
it's funny this tread came up reason being I do have tops on all my tanks ,
the stupid cats never climbed on any of my tanks and I have had them for years,
this morning my wife came running into the bedroom screaming , she says one of the cats went for a swim , me being half asleep it didn't register , well I woke up to find the cat wading trying to get out of the tank , I broke out laughing it was hilarious ,why my wife didn't get the cat out is beyond me , so I grabbed the cat by the scruff of its neck got it out of the tank , put it down the stupid thing ran straight into the wall , I think the tank climbing days are over . I think it will think twice about doing it again
well luckily it was only my breeder/feeder tank or I would have drown the **** cat right there and than , other than a busted top and lots of hair floating looks as if everything is ok , so if you think a top will stop a cat it wont, it may slow them down but in the end he will go for a swim ,
it was really odd this tread popped up than my wife's stupid cat had to test the theory
think I may just buy a cheap video surveillance camera and put it over the tanks , cause I think it would have been funnier seeing the splash lol .

First let me say this my wife has 2 cats yes I hate cats I will not lie... anyway....
it's funny this tread came up reason being I do have tops on all my tanks ,
the stupid cats never climbed on any of my tanks and I have had them for years,
this morning my wife came running into the bedroom screaming , she says one of the cats went for a swim , me being half asleep it didn't register , well I woke up to find the cat wading trying to get out of the tank , I broke out laughing it was hilarious ,why my wife didn't get the cat out is beyond me , so I grabbed the cat by the scruff of its neck got it out of the tank , put it down the stupid thing ran straight into the wall , I think the tank climbing days are over . I think it will think twice about doing it again
well luckily it was only my breeder/feeder tank or I would have drown the **** cat right there and than , other than a busted top and lots of hair floating looks as if everything is ok , so if you think a top will stop a cat it wont, it may slow them down but in the end he will go for a swim ,
it was really odd this tread popped up than my wife's stupid cat had to test the theory
think I may just buy a cheap video surveillance camera and put it over the tanks , cause I think it would have been funnier seeing the splash lol .

Cats often urinate when terrified. I wouldn't be surprised if it urinated in your aquarium. Did you check the ammonia level right away?

In all fairness, I think you're being a little hateful towards cats. Cats are very nice animals. I have one, and have always had cats, all my life. "I would have drowned the stupid $$$$ cat right there and then"? Come on, man. That's a bit much. Don't be so hateful.

Back
Top Bottom