Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-13-2012, 11:12 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Canopy help

I'm drawing out my plans for my 125gl build I'm starting next summer. Got the stand down and I know I want to add a canopy but need some advice from people who have had them...

What type of wood did you use?

How did you prevent evaporated water from soaking into the wood? Moisture problems?

Can you post pics? I'm a visual person

My biggest is about the materials used. I would think wood is awful heave, pressboard being worst. So I'm wondering what they are made of.

Old 11-14-2012, 09:12 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've made 3 for 3 different tanks and I've always used pine. You could also use plywood. You can use a stain and poly to prevent any water damage.

Old 11-14-2012, 10:20 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I used plywood and pine for the frame. Painted everything with black oil based paint, 3 coats of paint with little sanding before each coat. It's too early to say how it's performing because it's only been 5 months. So far so good!
Old 11-14-2012, 10:23 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

That will work fine. that will last a long time.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:49 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

What about weigh issues? Putting extra weight on top of the tank will not cause problems?

I think the canopy adds the extra grand look!

Now how do y'all have access? From the top, or front panels that lift up? Or both?

What about light protection from salt creep?

Sorry for all the question but I want to do this right the first time. In order to do that I kinda need to know the pros & cons from people that have a canopy, I've never had one. Thanks so far!
Old 11-14-2012, 02:00 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I wanted mine to look nice so I built the frame with 2x2s then covered the frame with 1/2 oak. My canopy weighs a lot because of the use of oak but IMO it doesn't really matter I made my doors big enough to be able to put anything in the tank or take out anything. So there's no need for me to remove it. I even removed all the rock in mt tank and went from a reef to fowlr replaced all the live rock and sand in the tank and never needed to take off the canopy.
CleverBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:36 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverBs
I wanted mine to look nice so I built the frame with 2x2s then covered the frame with 1/2 oak. My canopy weighs a lot because of the use of oak but IMO it doesn't really matter I made my doors big enough to be able to put anything in the tank or take out anything. So there's no need for me to remove it. I even removed all the rock in mt tank and went from a reef to fowlr replaced all the live rock and sand in the tank and never needed to take off the canopy.
Can you please post some pics?
Old 11-14-2012, 02:45 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Clevers 75g Build Thread - Page 6 - The Reef Tank

On page 6. I don't have any pictures after adding all the trim and doors however. I looks much much cleaner now.
CleverBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:47 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've always used pine for hoods. I split it about 2/3 the way down the sides and install hinges at the top that allow me to flip the first 1/3 of the hood up to access the tank. It's a very easy way to make one. I'll see if I can post a couple of photos in a bit.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:36 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Pics of my 20 gallon planted tank hood. I make saltwater hoods the exact same way and just made one with my brother that he's not through painting. Sorry about it being cloudy, I did a water change about 20 minutes before I took the photos.

^You can see the hinges here pretty clearly, as well as how the top and sides connect to the molding around the top of the hood.

Tags
canopy

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com