Canopy Reflector for VHO's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ximat

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hope someone can give me some insight:

I purchased a canopy and VHO's for my aquarium finally. The canopy however has slats (it is not fully covered) I need to put some type of reflector in there so I don't loose all my light straight up, any idea what i should use to do this?

TIA!

Those "slots" are for heat exhaust. VHO bulbs themselves typically have internal reflectors so its nothing I'd be overly worried about (as far as losing light).

I'd only suggest something if this reflector is mounted to the top of a canopy (where said heat ports would be covered by wood)....

Speaking of reflectors -- I'm planning on picking this one up:
http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=CP5715

I have VHO's with reflectors inside the bulb, and the light is great in my tank, don't think I lose anything. Just make sure those are the bulbs you buy...I bought bulbs one time and found out later they didn't have it so I had to take them back.

So i went to the store to pick up my VHO's that finally came in... Instead of an IceCap 660 they sold me a PFO Lighting Inc. PFOH-2. Anyone have any input on this ballast?

They are getting me some URI VHO's, they were out so they gave me some Corallife's in the mean time. The URI's do have the 180* reflector, the Corallife's dont :(

PFO is essentially a rebranded Icecap ballast so no worries there.

...and yes, URI are what I am using with the internal reflectors.

Are the Coralifes even VHO?

That sucks. :(

In any case, I wouldn't worry about losing too much light. Just look forward to seeing another slight improvement when you replace the coralifes ;) I mean, you can't be dissappointed with the Coralifes over what you previously had ... .... right?

When I built my hood, I also primed and painted the inside of the hood with a high gloss white paint intended for bathrooms and kitchens to help reduce potential moisture issues and to aid in reflecting the light. Not sure if it actually does anything with the light, but I figure it can't hurt.

Ximat said:
Hope someone can give me some insight:

I purchased a canopy and VHO's for my aquarium finally. The canopy however has slats (it is not fully covered) I need to put some type of reflector in there so I don't loose all my light straight up, any idea what i should use to do this?

TIA!

Please dont double post... it is bad netiquette. You posted this same question in the DIY Projects also...

~mike

Back
Top Bottom