Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-27-2009, 10:24 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Can't Find A Glass Canopy

I have a 20 gallon high tank and currently changing it to a planted tank. I have a malaysian peice of driftwood soaking right now and have had about 3 java ferns I believe in my tank for a while not knowing what they are (someone had given me them when I wasn't really interested in aquariums). Planning on buying more plants soon.

I want to increase my lighting as I am only getting 0.75 watts/gallon. I still wan't to keep it low light so I am planning on buying a fluorescent twin tube strip light to increase the w/gal to about 1.8. The only thing is I cannot find a glass canopy to purchase anywhere as I have a plastic hood which will not accept a twin tube fixture.

I've checked Petsmart and they dont have. I've checked bigalsonline.ca, and they dont have (havent checked instore yet). I live in Canada by the way, and I wan't to purchase this in Canada so shipping costs don't kill me. Anyone have any ideas where I can find one? Or a better idea for the lighting of my tank? Thanks.

Old 06-27-2009, 10:41 PM   #2
Sliced Bread

I prefer to run my planted tanks open top. But, if you really want one, Aquarium Hoods & Canopies: All-Glass Twin-Tube Versa-Tops

Old 06-28-2009, 12:39 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I cannot buy from that site, it's US residents only.
Old 01-23-2011, 03:14 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Any resolution?

Hey.. I know this is an old post, but I am currently in the same situation. Did you ever resolve this or find somewhere to buy the glass lid? I am looking for one for my 36x12 aquarium. Also in Canada. I checked out the foster site mentioned above, but the shipping would be more than $100. I want to use a lid as I have some fish that are known to jump.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:00 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Take your measurements to a local glass company, and see how much they would charge for glass and you can glue a piano hinge to the 2 pieces. Sometimes they have scrap glass they are wanting to get rid of and will be glad to cut it to your specs.
Old 01-29-2011, 12:12 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

glass top

The glass shop isnít a bad idea Iíve priced out getting tempered glass and it isnít much more than a full top. I priced a 25"circle w/sanded edges(they would cut out of a 30" square) and it was $80 just go to a glass/window store with the measurement and they can order the temp glass for ya. If you do a search for plastic hinges on the net your sure to find one that fits the bill. I just did a quick look and found two sites right off.

you can even get holes drilled in it for a little more $$$ less than $25 a hole.
if your looking for cheap price this may not be the best option. but un-tempered glass can break real easy.

for you wanting to know how they temper glass they take plain glass cut it drill it do what ever they want too... pop it in a special oven and cool it under controlled conditions soon after it is done. kinda the same as metal.
Old 01-29-2011, 02:06 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

take a trip to homedepot and buy a sheet of clear acrylic and cut it out to the size and shape you need
Old 01-29-2011, 02:36 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Found one at one of the LFS in my area. Thanks e eryone for the tips.

Tags
canopy, glass

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com