Can't find top for 75g tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok so I got my 75 from Petland during there dollar a gallon sale, great deal! Now for the life of me I can't find a canopy to fit. Either too big or too small! Tried Pertecto, All Glass and Deep Blue!! Nothing fits!

Anyone else have this problem. Center brace tank and can't find anything for a top.

Called several well known online stores and nobody can seem to help! Petland special? Tank and good luck on a top kinda deal?

Here's a picture.

View attachment 63110

Last edited:
Hholly said:
Are you talking about the gap at the back?

No, do you see how the glass overlaps the center brace? It doesn't seat right. And when you go to open it falls into the tank because it's not in that recessed area.

You see the picture how it doesn't fit right. And the is the same way. I'll take another pic.

View attachment 63115

View attachment 63116

View attachment 63117

Last edited:
Oh, that sucks. I wonder why the tank manufacturer doesn't make covers to fit? Would it be possible to make one with plexiglass?

Hholly said:
Oh, that sucks. I wonder why the tank manufacturer doesn't make covers to fit? Would it be possible to make one with plexiglass?

I'm gonna try Petland first since that's where I got it. Them go from there.

I only had one fish jump when I kept mbuna... an auratus. Not sure what happened, but the other two I had never did in the 2 years I had the tank. I don't keep lids on any of my tanks. It's unnecessary (except in rare circumstances where you have fish known to jump... cats... something like that), and no top makes maintenance and feeding Sooooooo much easier.

mfdrookie516 said:
I only had one fish jump when I kept mbuna... an auratus. Not sure what happened, but the other two I had never did in the 2 years I had the tank. I don't keep lids on any of my tanks. It's unnecessary (except in rare circumstances where you have fish known to jump... cats... something like that), and no top makes maintenance and feeding Sooooooo much easier.

Also something to consider. Thank you for your input. Also do you keep your water level a little lower then say you would if you had a lid? Or no difference? I must say. I kinda like the no lid idea. It would be easier in a lot of ways. What about heat? Does it effect heating the tank and the maintaining the heat of the tank?

I tried to cut my glass tops once to fit around an odd light fixture. The cutting worked, but I cut the wrong places (lol) and ended up throwing the tops away.

But, I only used a $3 glass cutter from lowes. Score real well and snap. Be very careful.

The better bet is probably finding one that fits though.

Also something to consider. Thank you for your input. Also do you keep your water level a little lower then say you would if you had a lid? Or no difference? I must say. I kinda like the no lid idea. It would be easier in a lot of ways. What about heat? Does it effect heating the tank and the maintaining the heat of the tank?

Same level, about 1/4" from the top of the glass.

Back
Top Bottom