Can't get auto top off right

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jrcordero4

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I bought a digital aquatics float switch for a auto top off system but I can't get it to work properly. I spliced an extension cord and connected the float switch to it. I plug in the extension cord run a test and the power supply continues to run no matter if the float is up or down. Please help!!!!ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406425528.319765.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406425576.876766.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yes into an extension cord. It worked for about 30 seconds but when I was lifting the float a couple of times to make sure, it stopped cutting off. Just continuous power. I really don't get what I'm doing wrong.

Does It have anything to do with the fact that the extension cord wasn't a grounded cord?

I'm not using a reefkeeper. I'm using a float switch connected to a taam rio plus 50 submersible pump. I spliced one wire of the extension cord and made the float switch in line to the extension cord. At the end of the extension cord I will plug in the pump. Any ideas of what I'm doing wrong

There are two wires for the extension cord right? Both lines have to be spliced in. I had a black and a red wire and they each ran off another of the matching color. I would guess one is a live wire and one is the ground. You need both to work I would guess.

I am certain someone else will swing along shortly, so we can get confirmation. :)

Makes sense, I was thinking the same thing. I hope someone else chimes in to confirm. I don't want to cut the other wire if I don't have to.

Back
Top Bottom