Cant get SWC skimmer 160 to make skimmate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

catmel

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey everyone, trying my best to set up my 75 gallon tank, but running into a lot of speedbumps along the way.

I have a SWC skimmer 160 in my 20 gallon sump.. I have it in just under 10" on water. I finally got it to make bubbles, but after being set up for a week, it will NOT make skimmate. I know theres 'gunk' in the tank, as I used some old water from the old tank to 'cycle' this one.

It doesnt seem to matter how high or low I have the water, nothing works :( Ive tried eleveating the skimmer too, no luck.

The air intake tube is connected to the pump, but due to the fact that the skimmer has its own built in stand, it is kind of kinked.. theres no hole for the tube to go through.. anyway, heres a pic.. does anyone see what i may be doing wrong? Not sure why I cant get this darn thing to work properly.

Thanks for the help

Attachments

• skimmer.jpg
    skimmer.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
It looks like it producing enough bubbles. I don't think this would be an issue, but the output is underwater and that could cause some back pressure. Can you try a shorter piece of pipe there, or at least not have it that deep?

How long ago did you setup this tank and what all is in it? Just because you used some "old" water doesn't mean there is enough crap in the system for the skimmer to pull it out.

It looks like it producing enough bubbles. I don't think this would be an issue, but the output is underwater and that could cause some back pressure. Can you try a shorter piece of pipe there, or at least not have it that deep?

How long ago did you setup this tank and what all is in it? Just because you used some "old" water doesn't mean there is enough crap in the system for the skimmer to pull it out.

Ah... that might be something to try. I used a cup of skimmate from the 55 gallon, as well as about 10 gallons of water ( fish poop and all ). No fish at the moment.. as its not done cycling yet. Been set up for 3-4 weeks so far.

I would think it would be pulling something out.. I'll try taking the bigger piece of pipe out and see how it goes.. any other suggestions?

thanks for the tip.. hopefully it helps :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom