Can't seem to be able to level my tank - READING does not make sense

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lapintoxic

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone,

So I got a Seaclear 55G acrylic tank/stand/canopy on craigslist. I noticed that the top of the stand bowed a little and the tank would not make full contact at the end on both side so I decided to put a piece of plywood between the tank and the stand.

Now, after 2 weeks of the tank running I realized that it was no longer level (I am pretty sure it was when first setup) and so I decided to empty it and put a piece of plywood between the stand and the carpet (in case the concrete would be uneven) but still no luck. I am still about 1/4 in. off from one side to another. I bought shims too when I purchased the plywood but it does not seems to make much of a difference.

THE WEIRD PART:
When I level the bottom piece of plywood, the level is telling me that the RIGHT side is HIGHER than my right side (when looking at the tank from the front). which is the opposite of what I am seeing when looking at the water. the RIGHT side is actually lower than the left side.
Now, I put a piece of wood on the water with a level on it and yea... this READING is telling me that the tank is LOWER on the right side which is the opposite of the other reading but seems right to me.

This is really messing me up and I do not want to get the tank filled up again until I figure out what's going which I can't seem to figure out right now so I need your help. I will upload photos of the level using a 6" long level and the one from the water itself.

I hope someone can help me understand this and figure out what I need to do.
Here is the tank in my garage while I was removing some of the scratches and giving it a brand new look:
seaclear-55g-aquisition

Thanks for reading!

Pictures

Not sure if this is the best way to share pictures but this is what I came up with while writing this post:

Bottom piece of plywood:

Top of the stand:

Left Side from the Top:

Right side from the top:

Level sitting on the water:

It's been a very long past few weeks and I think my brain was indeed not working properly but after a good weekend of relaxation I was able to get this fixed and the stand shimmed properly this evening.

Last edited by a moderator:
[When I level the bottom piece of plywood, the level is telling me that the RIGHT side is HIGHER than my right side (when looking at the tank from the front). which is the opposite of what I am seeing when looking at the water. the RIGHT side is actually lower than the left side./QUOTE]

ok now the water level is lower on the right side Correct

if you lower the right side or raise left side it will level out you just not looking at the physics correctly I've done that way to many times

Last edited:
You are totally correct. I was completely looking at it the wrong way and the frustration did not help me see it clearly.
I did raise the left side today and the tank is not perfectly level.

Thanks for the help!

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom