Can't seem to find PFS at Home Depot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, I will only recommend filter floss from now on (fine with me, we will sell it at the shop I work at). I recommend that because it is exactly the same thing, 100% polyester. Hardware store gravel and sand is far from exactly the same as aquarium gravel and sand. Large, natural gravel, maybe. Colored gravel or sand? Definitely not.

The same price as aquarium gravel, not hardware store gravel.

I have talked to a few people whose experiences demonstrate how bad silica sand can make a tank. Obviously it isn't the norm, but it happens.

If you can't afford to buy things actually made for aquariums or got into this hobby to save money, get out now.
Are you saying dont use PFS? Because I have it and it is great. I know ALOT of people use it asnd have no problems. Even if a few do then it is still worth trying IMO. I have had aggresion problems with my guppies against inverts but other people are fine with it. Should nobody ever place inverts and gups together? Just sayin...

I don't even like the color. It is too light and washes their colors out. Fish have better coloration on a dark background and substrate. So even if PFS was as uniform in size and the perfect grain size, the color alone would make me recommend something else. I would love to see some pics, but I haven't seen many impressive tanks that used PFS.

My main point for bringing this up is that people should know there are options. If people ask about sand and the only thing recommended is PFS that is all they will know exists. If they choose to go with it, fine. But they should at least know there are good sands out there that are actually made for aquariums.

I don't even like the color. It is too light and washes their colors out. Fish have better coloration on a dark background and substrate. So even if PFS was as uniform in size and the perfect grain size, the color alone would make me recommend something else. I would love to see some pics, but I haven't seen many impressive tanks that used PFS.

My main point for bringing this up is that people should know there are options. If people ask about sand and the only thing recommended is PFS that is all they will know exists. If they choose to go with it, fine. But they should at least know there are good sands out there that are actually made for aquariums.
Unfortunatly my tank is not very impressive as of right now. I am about to overhaul it. Here is a pic. Very big improvement from gravel.

Attachments

• DSCN1266.jpg
    DSCN1266.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 90
I will agree with you there, sand in general is a big step up from gravel.

My tank is still a work in progress but has the PFS in it. I like it. :)

img_1564316_0_c85d9610c8352593ab38c1e82509a5c3.jpg

My clown loaches on PFS. Don't look washed out to me.

Attachments

• IMG_5861.jpg
    IMG_5861.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 73
This thread might be going a bit off topic and turning argumentative. There is no point in continuing to beat a dead horse. Let it go.

It is ultimately up to the OP whether or not they want to go with PFS or whatever.

Actually I am really curious about which sand she used and how much it was cleaned. This could very well be exactly the difference between her experience and the much more negative experiences of other people. This kind of info could be vital to anyone choosing a sand.

I;d have to go back through my 125g build thread to find the pictures, but it was about $4 something for each 50lb bag. I used 250lbs. I also rinsed the heck out of it, took hours to do. There wasnt much of any residue left. But I will admit it is dirty right out of the bag, I had to really rinse it alot for each batch to run clear.

Sorry, last time I tried to start a new thread after a discussion was started in another thread it was shut down.

I started a new thread. Anyone with info please contribute there.

Yeah, I have read plenty of comments regarding laborious washing of some types of substrates.
That alone, when one does the math, might shift the decision towards a cleaner (initially more expensive but ultimately reasonable) alternative.
I don't relish spending hours cleaning any substrate as that raises the virtual price.

I really appreciate all (!) the comments here.
I am learning a great deal and that is the ultimate goal for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom