Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-25-2011, 06:26 PM   #21

Okay, I will only recommend filter floss from now on (fine with me, we will sell it at the shop I work at). I recommend that because it is exactly the same thing, 100% polyester. Hardware store gravel and sand is far from exactly the same as aquarium gravel and sand. Large, natural gravel, maybe. Colored gravel or sand? Definitely not.

Old 09-25-2011, 06:31 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishguy2727 View Post
The same price as aquarium gravel, not hardware store gravel.

I have talked to a few people whose experiences demonstrate how bad silica sand can make a tank. Obviously it isn't the norm, but it happens.

If you can't afford to buy things actually made for aquariums or got into this hobby to save money, get out now.
Are you saying dont use PFS? Because I have it and it is great. I know ALOT of people use it asnd have no problems. Even if a few do then it is still worth trying IMO. I have had aggresion problems with my guppies against inverts but other people are fine with it. Should nobody ever place inverts and gups together? Just sayin...

Old 09-25-2011, 06:38 PM   #23

I don't even like the color. It is too light and washes their colors out. Fish have better coloration on a dark background and substrate. So even if PFS was as uniform in size and the perfect grain size, the color alone would make me recommend something else. I would love to see some pics, but I haven't seen many impressive tanks that used PFS.

My main point for bringing this up is that people should know there are options. If people ask about sand and the only thing recommended is PFS that is all they will know exists. If they choose to go with it, fine. But they should at least know there are good sands out there that are actually made for aquariums.
Old 09-25-2011, 06:45 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I don't even like the color. It is too light and washes their colors out. Fish have better coloration on a dark background and substrate. So even if PFS was as uniform in size and the perfect grain size, the color alone would make me recommend something else. I would love to see some pics, but I haven't seen many impressive tanks that used PFS.

My main point for bringing this up is that people should know there are options. If people ask about sand and the only thing recommended is PFS that is all they will know exists. If they choose to go with it, fine. But they should at least know there are good sands out there that are actually made for aquariums.
Unfortunatly my tank is not very impressive as of right now. I am about to overhaul it. Here is a pic. Very big improvement from gravel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1266.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	240.6 KB
ID:	53511  
Old 09-25-2011, 06:48 PM   #25

I will agree with you there, sand in general is a big step up from gravel.
Old 09-25-2011, 06:50 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

My tank is still a work in progress but has the PFS in it. I like it.

Old 09-25-2011, 07:07 PM   #27

Do you have a silicate test kit?
Old 09-25-2011, 07:13 PM   #28
Great white snark

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:

My clown loaches on PFS. Don't look washed out to me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5861.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	149.0 KB
ID:	53516  

AA ToS
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/misc.php?do=sknetwork&page=tos
Old 09-25-2011, 07:13 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I tested it when I put it in and it came back at 0. haven't checked it since.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:21 PM   #30

Which PFS did you use? How much did you clean it?

Tags
pfs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com