Can't seem to find PFS at Home Depot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Togliat

Aquarium Advice Activist
I could not seem to find PFS at home depot but I found play sand (which I don't prefer for my usage). Furthermore, I could not find the "Quikrete" brand but I did find another brand called "SAKRETE" of "medium coarse sand for general use" Will that work as a substrate? Thanks for any advice.

45003-albums2313-picture15123.jpg

PS. I stopped by my LFS and they were super friendly and helpful. I think I am finally going to make the leap. I sent in the dimensions of an alcove and he is going to research some options, including custom-built tanks. A 75g would fit with room, but I might opt for larger (easier). Alcove location for tank = 66x25x96

:dance:

I could not seem to find PFS at home depot but I found play sand (which I don't prefer for my usage). Furthermore, I could not find the "Quikrete" brand but I did find another brand called "SAKRETE" of "medium coarse sand for general use" Will that work as a substrate? Thanks for any advice.

PS. I stopped by my LFS and they were super friendly and helpful. I think I am finally going to make the leap. I sent in the dimensions of an alcove and he is going to research some options, including custom-built tanks. A 75g would fit with room, but I might opt for larger (easier). Alcove location for tank = 66x25x96

:dance:
Check hardware stores like Ace. Thats where I got mine. Quickrete. Great stuff!

I prefer sand actually made for aquariums. A dark substrate (and background) brings out a lot more color in the fish.

I did a lot of searching at hardware stores before i finally decided to just get some aragonite sand that was on sale at my LFS.

The sakrete play/all purpose sand will work fine as an aquarium substrate.

However, the sakrete play sand and all purpose sand were all too course for my taste. The color was also a dull grey after washing it. You may want to take a look at HD and ask for any silica sand they may have. Most PFS is silica sand. Leslie's 50# PFS is silica sand as well. Most pool suply companies do not have silica-free sand in stock; they usually have to order it for you since it's a bit more expense etc.

I prefer sand actually made for aquariums. A dark substrate (and background) brings out a lot more color in the fish.
Sand isn't actually made for aquariums. Aquarium supply companies bag substrates that are available already. Here is an example. Sand and Gravel Water Filtration Media - Red Flint note the aquarium sand and PFS are the same thing, in different bags.
I agree on the dark substrate, which is why I like black blasting sand, although if I could get it I would go with the Red Flint. I have their gravel and it is a great color.

Most PFS is silica sand. Leslie's 50# PFS is silica sand as well. Most pool suply companies do not have silica-free sand in stock; they usually have to order it for you since it's a bit more expense etc.

Interesting that the PFS is #50 grit since that is extremely fine, and the specification for sand filters is #20 grit.

Estes makes a sand for aquariums. It is coated in acrylic to keep it chemically inert, is extremely uniform in size, and the grain size is perfect. It is made for aquariums, so much more than a bag of cheapo sand at the hardware store. It is called Estes marine sand, also known as ultra reef and stoney river. Fortunately it runs the same price as gravel so it is very affordable.

Estes makes a sand for aquariums. It is coated in acrylic to keep it chemically inert, is extremely uniform in size, and the grain size is perfect. It is made for aquariums, so much more than a bag of cheapo sand at the hardware store. It is called Estes marine sand, also known as ultra reef and stoney river. Fortunately it runs the same price as gravel so it is very affordable.
I have PFS and havent noticed a difference from when I had gravel. Also it was really cheap and looks stunning! The grain size is perfect because it doesnt fly around the tank.

You guys are great. I did not realize how many options there are.
I'll sniff around a bit more and advise.
We do have a Leslie's pool supply in town, and I'll check out the Quikrete alternatives too.

The pool supply store will have it, just is about $7 for 50 lbs so it's a tad bit more money.

I happen to like my PFS in my 125 and am planning on using it for my 90g as well.

Sand size is perfect and color is good so it's a go for me. lol

I have PFS in 2 tanks, 3M color quartz in 4 (about to change a 5th tank to it) and various types of gravels in all our others. Honestly, I love my PFS. Easy to clean and reminds me of home. Those two tanks make me think of Daytona Beach FL, beautiful white(ish) sand beaches.

3M was going to stop production on the color quartz but since it is such a popular product they decided against it. It is a bit expensive compared to PFS but you do get a choice of colors and they have 2 grades. T grade is a bit larger than sand, works extremely well in a planted tank. Then there's S grade which is sand. I can't speak from experience with the S grade. I've had 3M T grade black running for 3 years in a BW tank. It hasn't faded yet. Same with it running in my other tanks, no fading, it hasn't caused any issues with water quality and is also very easy to clean.

If money is an issue, PFS is the cheaper way to go, or perhaps the blasting sand if you want something other than white or tan-ish sand color. Just be careful about some of the sands made for aquariums. I had a black sand made by Dowell, which is a popular substrate manufacturer for the hobby. I hated that sand with a passion. it was so fine that cleaning was nearly impossible. When a fish would start digging out a whole for spawning, the sand would get sucked into the filter and it compacted.

You guys are great. I did not realize how many options there are.
I'll sniff around a bit more and advise.
We do have a Leslie's pool supply in town, and I'll check out the Quikrete alternatives too.
I have quickrete. Amazing. Only word for it.

Oh and dont judge the sand by its color out of you tankl! It changes color under the light! Mine was tan until I put it in the tank. Now it is white.

Silica sand is chemically inert, as are all the quartz based products. Sands are available in any grain size you want. Interesting that the Estes marine sand is the same price as gravel. So, a 50lb bag is $6.50?

Uncle Dirty said:
Sorry guys, I'm still learning, what is PFS?

PFS= Pool Filter Sand usually natural color and sold at hardware stores and pool supply stores. Makes a good substrate many use it as do I.

The same price as aquarium gravel, not hardware store gravel.

I have talked to a few people whose experiences demonstrate how bad silica sand can make a tank. Obviously it isn't the norm, but it happens.

If you can't afford to buy things actually made for aquariums or got into this hobby to save money, get out now.

If you can't afford to buy things actually made for aquariums or got into this hobby to save money, get out now.
Pot calling kettle black? How many times have I seen you recommend pillow/quilt stuffing? I assure you, that's not made for aquariums. See below :)

Which filter do you have?

I have Fluvals but would recommend using Seachem Matrix instead of Biomax.

Filter floss is a fine mechanical media. You can buy filter floss from a store, use polishing pads made for the specific filter you have, or use 100% polyester pillow stuffing form the craft store (as long as it has no microbicides).
^Link - http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/canister-filter-maintainence-166121.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom