carbon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

artur

Aquarium Advice Freak
Sometimes when I suspect something wrong in my reef tank I run carbon for couple days. For last 6 years maybe I did it twice. I have Kent Marine Phos Reactor. As A media I put activated carbon an drop it in my sump with Maxi Jet 900. After couple days I take it out. My question is can I keep that carbon for next use or just throw it to garbage? It is used only for couple days...

You could rinse it really well in RO/DI water and save it. But why do you only run it once in a while? I run it 365 days per year. Keeps my water polished and i fear no toxins.

and running carbon only occasionally could negatively effect corals. when carbon clears the water, light suddenly penetrates better/deeper. i have witnessed light shock after running carbon for 3 days.

Always something new. Have a reef tank for 7 years total <over that span from 15 to 125 galons. Newer new that carbon is a must in reef tank!!!!!! Everything doing great in my tank. Carbon takes out some good things from the water. If you add something it takes it out. For mechanical filtration I have filter sock. Biological- 150 pounds of live rock. Cheato in fuge takes care of diffrent staff like nitrate.Every 2 weeks 20% water change. What do I need to run carbon for????? I always watched new threads of setting new tanks. 80% did not sad enyting of using a carbon in the set up.

it's personal preference really. it's debatable that carbon removes "everything". if that was the case, why would we use R.O.D.I units, when we could use simple carbon reactors to strip the water clean?

Don't have time to read all this, have family to care for. I read your great building thread unless I miss it , never saw and I think you do not run it. Always read that forum and tried to learn from it. Instead of reading tons of very smart articles I realy on your as a forum members advices. Like I sad my 125 reef doing fine thanks to you too. I just ask simple question about reuse carbon. Whatever...... No I will not elaborate. I know your expierience so you probbably right. Did not know such simple say " carbon take some good staff out of water too" will be taken so negative...Have a good day:rolleyes:

it's personal preference really. it's debatable that carbon removes "everything". if that was the case, why would we use R.O.D.I units, when we could use simple carbon reactors to strip the water clean?
Newer sad everything. Some good things...

I'm not trying to cut you down or make you look uninformed, but making a statement like that doesn't make sense to me. Lots of people read these forums looking for infomation that can help them and saying something like that isn't helping anyone....IMO.

And I DO run carbon (ROX 0.8) all the time and change it every month. From all the peer-reviewed articles and studies I've read, the positives of always running carbon far outweigh whatever negatives there may be.

Back
Top Bottom