Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-10-2013, 03:45 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Just adding my 2 cents worth. Just set up my 210 last week. I am 5'5" and i still have to climb a three step stool and then bend over and get soaked up to my arm pits to barely reach the bottom. If I had to do it all over again, I probaby would have gone with the 180 just because its easier to reach things.

Old 07-10-2013, 04:31 PM   #12

Why would you need to reach the bottom anyway apart from setting it up and you won't have water in then

24" deep is like a puddle

With a reef tank for sure you need more than 24" to build up rocks and corals

Old 07-10-2013, 04:42 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Such contrasting opinions! Til now I also would have thought bigger is better but when it comes down to maintenance and working in the tank the extra depth might make me less inclined to work on it. lol But I really dont wanna regret going with one or the other. Noo mattr which one I choose I probably will have regrets. hehe I will say though I am leaning toward no canopy now, I was worried it would make life difficult with it being so heavy and so "there" in your face.

I run a reefkeeper on this tank so maybe the rapid led panels are the way to go. Gonna go try to look them up now.

My ride is on their way over to my house now to get me so we can go pick up the stand!! Very excited.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:47 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by T1KARMANN View Post
Why would you need to reach the bottom anyway apart from setting it up and you won't have water in then

24" deep is like a puddle

With a reef tank for sure you need more than 24" to build up rocks and corals
Because I have corals on the sand bed that may need to be repositioned to a better location etc
Old 07-10-2013, 04:57 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

^^^^^^ this
Old 07-10-2013, 05:13 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I anticipate, like usual, that i will be mucking around in the tank for the first couple months adjusting rocks and corals. While I am not going coral crazy for this tank i will have some not to mention if I need to get in the tank for aipastia or anything like that. And razor blading the glass I can imagine would be alot more difficult in the deeper tank. I wish I could get a monster tank that was 8 feet long and not so high and still get to have the water volume. LOL I am sitting here waiting for my ride to go get the stand so it's in stone now. Whatever I get will have to fit on a 72 X 24 X 36 stand. I was looking at glasscages and saw some really awesome tanks too, in fact, for a couple hundred extra bucks i can get a rimless 180g!! So now I have to decide that option. I'm totally not sure I would trust a rimless 6 foot tank though. I worry as it is about my rimless 60g tank being stable and sturdy. Just another option to mull over I guess.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:30 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
I anticipate, like usual, that i will be mucking around in the tank for the first couple months adjusting rocks and corals. While I am not going coral crazy for this tank i will have some not to mention if I need to get in the tank for aipastia or anything like that. And razor blading the glass I can imagine would be alot more difficult in the deeper tank. I wish I could get a monster tank that was 8 feet long and not so high and still get to have the water volume. LOL I am sitting here waiting for my ride to go get the stand so it's in stone now. Whatever I get will have to fit on a 72 X 24 X 36 stand. I was looking at glasscages and saw some really awesome tanks too, in fact, for a couple hundred extra bucks i can get a rimless 180g!! So now I have to decide that option. I'm totally not sure I would trust a rimless 6 foot tank though. I worry as it is about my rimless 60g tank being stable and sturdy. Just another option to mull over I guess.
Congrats on getting the stand! That means you are just that much closer to the tank and other goodies!

It's hard to decide as far as tank choices go. I suppose that the key is to go with something that is big enough for your wants, but not too big to the point where everything becomes overwhelming.
redsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:03 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by furrymurray View Post

Because I have corals on the sand bed that may need to be repositioned to a better location etc
There are tools you can buy to grab things you know they are nothing new

Just making excuses for not wanting to pay more for the tank once you go over 24" deep the price shots up due to the thickness of the glass

You say 30" is to deep so why didn't you go 25 26 27 28" deep

Surely 26" deep would have been fine

The problem with 24" deep is you only get about 21-22" of water that's to shallow

I have no legs and I still maintain my 8ft long 6ft wide 3ft deep tank and have been for over 3 years so if I can do it I don't see why anyone with legs would have a problem
Old 07-11-2013, 09:13 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

ironically, price has not come into play for me. lol The quotes I am getting for the 210 are not that much higher than the 180g. So it's not a make or break issue, at least for me. This is most likely going to be my last upgrade, at least of this size so I wanna do it right and have the least amount of regrets as possible. lol
Old 07-11-2013, 10:31 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by T1KARMANN View Post

There are tools you can buy to grab things you know they are nothing new

Just making excuses for not wanting to pay more for the tank once you go over 24" deep the price shots up due to the thickness of the glass

You say 30" is to deep so why didn't you go 25 26 27 28" deep

Surely 26" deep would have been fine

The problem with 24" deep is you only get about 21-22" of water that's to shallow

I have no legs and I still maintain my 8ft long 6ft wide 3ft deep tank and have been for over 3 years so if I can do it I don't see why anyone with legs would have a problem
I dont trust using a tool to grab delicate corals. I would rather use my hands.

As far as making excuses for not paying extra for a 30 inch tall tank? I am not making excuses. I did get a 30 inch tall tank and spend over 7,000 on equipment and the tank and stand. So money was not the excuse. I did not give excuses. I gave my opinion over personal experience.

I am just giving my opinion, which is what the OP was asking about. Why are you so worked up over my personal opinion?

Tags
reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com