Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-10-2013, 04:26 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Carey's Dilemna, 180g vs 210g Reef

Sooo here I am again and it's tank upgrade time.

I just bought a six foot by 2 foot by 3 foot tall stand for my next setup. It will hold either a 180g, 210g or a 220g. I am totally stumped as to which one to get. The stand is 3 feet tall so its about 6 inches taller than a standard stand which will put the height of the setup well above my short self. lol

I can't think of any other bad reasons NOT to go for the bigger tank though, what do you all think? BUT then again, why go bigger if the extra 30g or so won;t make a difference as far as fish I can get or corals i can stock, the height is where the difference is so I wouldnt even get any tank floor real estate.

Whats' the consensus? Go reasonable of go a tad overboard? lol

Thanks for reading!

Old 07-10-2013, 04:30 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

welcome back, carey!

I say go big or go home!

I'm only 5' and I've got a 125 to maintain. The tank doesn't even start until my waist height. So here comes the step stool. I will say though, being eye level with a larger tank is a little bit more memorizing than having to lean, bend, or sit.

Old 07-10-2013, 04:37 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The question i'd be asking myself is would the extra height be stretching the par value of the lighting I have available, unless of course your going with all new lighting for the all new tank
Old 07-10-2013, 04:45 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Hehe Another short aquarist, it does have its disadvantages thats for sure. This tank will be light on the corals, nothing crazy that would require extra high lighting and would not require me to have my hands in the tank everyday like I did with a full on reef with sps and what not. I was constantly picking up fallen corals or dusting the sand off them, every single day.
I would love to have AI Vegas or the newer Ai model, which I cant remember the name of right now lol. But in reality i think the best I will be able to do is 3 led 120w adjustable ones. BUT I am still torn as to whether I am going with a canopy or not. I cant have one of those monster tall canopies either but if I get the shorter canopy I dont think i can hang lights in there.

I should have added this question to the original post hehehe.....Pros and Cons of a canopy

let me know what you guys think about that aspect
Old 07-10-2013, 04:46 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I went with a 220g @ 6'L x 30"w x 24"H. I can't stand tanks taller than 24/26 inches. Always end up with soaked armpits. I figured it was better to go wider than taller for what I wanted. Personally I'd go with the shorter tank for easier maintenance.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:53 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
I should have added this question to the original post hehehe.....Pros and Cons of a canopy

let me know what you guys think about that aspect
I went with a canopy on my upgrade because I had lots of wood left over from making my stand. If I were to do it over again, I would have gone without a canopy and hung my lights from the ceiling for a nice look. I would also have covered the top with a DIY clear screen mesh to keep all the jumpers from carpet diving.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:21 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Ahh ok, thanks so much! Its bad enough that i can't reach the bottom of the 125g without a step stool but if I went deeper I'd be soaked every time. lol I'm curious though, what is it that you dont really like about a canopy? Is it heavy does it get in the way? I had hoped that would keep jumpers in as well, I do still have 2 rolls of BRS screening material so i could always make a cover for it. I also wanted to hang led's most likely and my wall slopes right above where i am going to put the tank so hanging from the ceiling wont work for me.

The store I bought the stand from suggested i just use plant hangers from lowes or home depot and just mount that to the back of the stand so I could go open top. he even offered to sell me some he had left over for $10 a piece. lol

There is also the option of keeping the light fixture i have, its a nova extreme 12 bulb t5 light. All the rage about 3 years ago hehehe...I do need new bulbs so I also have to balance the money for bulbs vs. just buying 3 led panels. It's like $250 vs $450 alot but it would be worth it I'd think in the long run.

Whatcha think Rick?
Old 07-10-2013, 03:11 PM   #8

Get a small 2-3 step

Its no hardship its not like you need to spend hours on the thing

Get the biggest tank you can or you will regret it FACT

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-547596684.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	185360

Sorry my tank is very cloudy I'm treating with prazipro

My tank is 8ft tall from the floor just get a longer gravel clean I have a 3ft long gravel cleaner
Old 07-10-2013, 03:27 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
Ahh ok, thanks so much! Its bad enough that i can't reach the bottom of the 125g without a step stool but if I went deeper I'd be soaked every time. lol I'm curious though, what is it that you dont really like about a canopy? Is it heavy does it get in the way? I had hoped that would keep jumpers in as well, I do still have 2 rolls of BRS screening material so i could always make a cover for it. I also wanted to hang led's most likely and my wall slopes right above where i am going to put the tank so hanging from the ceiling wont work for me.

The store I bought the stand from suggested i just use plant hangers from lowes or home depot and just mount that to the back of the stand so I could go open top. he even offered to sell me some he had left over for $10 a piece. lol

There is also the option of keeping the light fixture i have, its a nova extreme 12 bulb t5 light. All the rage about 3 years ago hehehe...I do need new bulbs so I also have to balance the money for bulbs vs. just buying 3 led panels. It's like $250 vs $450 alot but it would be worth it I'd think in the long run.

Whatcha think Rick?
I think for me, I just don't like the look and functionality of the canopy. I'm starting to like the sleeker look of the open top (with clear screen) with hanging lights. Having a canopy restricts my space to work with a bit more than I would like. I'd much rather have a clear screen frame I can remove more easily to get where I need to in the tank.

To be honest, if I had a sloped ceiling above my tank, I would have totally gone with the hanging lights + screen. The hanging lights would look awesome against the slope. Also, all of your ceiling should be framed. It wouldn't be too hard to attach some anchor points into the 2x4s in your ceiling and hang the lights with wire. Are you still living in your apartment? If you are, I don't know if they'll let you drill into the ceiling. Just another thought.

If you want a cheap and easy method, you could definitely use the planted hangers to attach them to the back of your stand. Cheap, simple and easy...but I like the ceiling hanging more tbh.

As for lights, at this point I really do think it's go LED or go home. It just saves so much money down the road. There's a thread out there about "best light for your buck". It's gotten pretty long but a good read. The Taotronics panels are getting good reviews. The controllable rapidled fixtures are also something to look at if you have a controller etc.

Just my $0.02
Old 07-10-2013, 03:36 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by T1KARMANN View Post
Get a small 2-3 step
Its no hardship its not like you need to spend hours on the thing
Get the biggest tank you can or you will regret it FACT
Tank size is a personal choice. I had the option of getting a 260g tank. Same size as my current 220g but 30" high instead of my current 24". I'm so glad I went with the shorter tank. Reaching the bottom of a 30" tank with ease is incredibly difficult even on a stool. In the marine world, taller tanks don't do much for fish. It does however give you more vertical places to place corals. And at 30", you're going to need some strong lighting or optics with LEDs. In Carey's case I don't think the positives of the taller tank outweigh the negatives. Just my opinion of course

Tags
reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com