Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-18-2009, 08:19 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Cascade canister

I'm setting up my canister, and am at the part in the instructions where you are supposed to pump the primer button four times and let the chamber fill with water. I've pumped mine about 50 times and can't get the water moving. I know i could just empty a glass of tank water in there to get it started the old fashioned way, but can anyone suggest what I'm doing wrong? I've checked to make sure all the hoses are screwed in securely.

Old 04-18-2009, 09:04 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Do you have the valves open?

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 12:10 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yep, valves are open. I'll just try filling a glass of water and manually doing it I suppose.
Old 04-19-2009, 02:59 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to FastFly67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Squid View Post
Yep, valves are open. I'll just try filling a glass of water and manually doing it I suppose.
good luck locking down your lid again. i forgot to put the cover on top of the trays one time after i cleaned it and figured i'd just slide it in. watery mess all over my floor.
Old 04-19-2009, 03:07 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Bah, I'm starting to get frustrated. When I pump the primer, water is filling the motor part of the filter, but only small bit of it. I thought maybe that was all that needed to be filled before plugging it in, but I just heard a dry grinding noise when I tried that and immediately turned it off before I broke something. I place a call to their help line but I'm not sure anyone is really working down there.
Old 04-19-2009, 03:46 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Nope. Filled up the canister manually and tried plugging it in that way. Same dry grinding noise but no output. I really wish these things came with a trouble shooting manual. Maybe I'm just being pessimistic now but I get the impression the Pennplax help line won't be returning my call either.
I'm just going to walk away from this whole mess for a few days and pretend I can't hear all my friends asking me how the new tank is running .
Is there any threat to leaving standing water in an aquarium? There isn't any light comming in so hopefully algea won't grow.
Old 04-19-2009, 04:35 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

is there fish in there? is not should be fine. never had that filter so its hard to help. i always take things apart and try to reset it back up hoping i missed something the first time or 4th 5th some times in my case. call back tomorrow.
Old 04-19-2009, 09:55 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Nope no fish. That is the troubling part. I'm so excited to finally get this tank up and running and the lack of filter really has me stopped. I'll try and forget about it for the day then get a screwdriver and see if I can't figure out how it works. failing that, I'll probably contact big al's and see if I cant get some store credit perhaps. Wish me luck!
Old 04-19-2009, 11:01 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to the_elvish_misfit Send a message via Yahoo to the_elvish_misfit
I have a cascade too. Had to pour water in it manually and although thankfully no grinding noise, it overflows back out the chamber over the vacuum stem as well as the waterfall. It works fine but you can definitely tell cascades are the cheaper end of the spectrum.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:44 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah, I suppose I should have expected trouble. The hose connections seem fine. I blow air through them and see the bubbles all comming into the tank. I just cant seem to get the flow started. I wonder if there isnt a small connector peice missing somewhere that is breaking the airflow from the motor to the tank. I'll cross my fingers and hope their customer service department returns my correspondance, but after that will try calling Big Al's to see if they will let me return it.

Tags
canister

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com