Catastrophic Tank Failure- 38gal bow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KimCardiRN

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Just had my 1st traumatic failure after years of aquariums...picked up a marineland 38 gal bowfront 2 months ago and yesterday the bottom seam of the front completely failed with not noticable warning!! Luckily it was when I was in the room and all fish have so far survived...carpet may finally be dry too :(.

In any case, we returned it and were given a replacement...but I'm so over worried now- this is actually my first bowfront and I'm now REALLY skeptical of the seam integrity.... holding water fine (but so was the first one....). Is it typical for the vertical seam where the bow meets the side glass to not be flush/consistent? I will add pictures tonight... the silicone is obviously intact as it is holding water...but I'm worried of the minimal glass on glass contact areas and the water pressure forcing a seam failure....is this just part of typical bow front construction or is it a problem and I need a new tank before this one goes too???

Again. Sorry but pics to come when I get a chance to take some...

Glass on glass is not what you want, the silicone does actually seal it together. (btw, I am not the science tank person who knows how to explain it all, lol)

There needs to be space for flexing and whatever tanks need to do. If you have time at some point watch a couple youtube vids on putting an aquarium together. I didn't know that until I saw several different manufacturers and DIYers leaving some gap I was surprised how much! I have bowfronts and they are older, All Glass and Aqueon, and not familiar with Marineland, but will try and take a peak next time I am at the store.

So sorry you had that awful tank break. Thank goodness you had some experience with fish and could save them. Welcome KimCardiRN!!!

Back
Top Bottom