Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-20-2010, 11:27 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Center braces...

So i was reading a thread about someone who set up a 55 gal where the center brace was broken.... and it was stressed to get it fixed....

i have a 90 gal... which never came with a center brace.... why is it that some tanks have them while others dont??

Old 10-20-2010, 12:47 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

The 90 gallon is built of heavier, thicker glass, so is less likely to bow under the pressure of the water. Therefore it doesn't require a center brace. I have an old 55 that also doesn't have a center brace. It depends somewhat on the company that makes the tank as well. If you tank comes with a brace, it should not be removed or allowed to remain broken.

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 12:53 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

I had a 55 gallon tank that was built in 1990 and the center brace was broke and never had a problem with it. Not to say yours wont give you any problems.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:58 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by fshfrk58 View Post
I had a 55 gallon tank that was built in 1990 and the center brace was broke and never had a problem with it. Not to say yours wont give you any problems.
No, mine was actually built without the center brace. On yours, since it was broken, I would take a straight edge of some sort, and place it against the front glass, just to get an idea of how much the glass is or isn't bowing - that may give you some idea as to if you should be concerned or not.

I see you're in Casper, are you into fresh or saltwater?

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 02:22 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

The center brace is there to keep the sides from bowing under pressure. Glass can take a lot of pressure, but it doesn't like flexing or twisting. Some tanks have center braces, others don't. I just picked up an old 55g with 1/4" or 3/8" glass. It doesn't have a center brace and it doesn't need it. Newer tanks are made of thinner glass for several reasons, but mostly for cost.

I've seen pictures in a "HELP!" type thread of a broken brace 55g filled with water. The tank was 1"-2" wider in the middle than the sides. I couldn't believe it hadn't cracked.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com