Ceramic/Glass Diffuser noise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fort384

Dividing by 0
Site Team
I have been using ceramic/glass diffusers for years to inject CO2 into planted tanks. They always have a tendency to make a little bit of noise, but generally not so much that you notice it unless you are right next to it and listening for it.

I setup a tank recently, and the diffuser is making an awful whistling noise. You can hear it from the other room it is so loud. I have tried adjusting the flow of the CO2 a bit, but can't adjust it too much one way or the other if I want to inject CO2 at the level I want in the tank. Anyone come across this before or have any idea on a fix? It is driving me nuts.

I attached a couple of pictures - 1 is of the diffuser in question, if that matters. The second shows the system. It is an ADA 74-YA Ver2 with an ADA El Valve solenoid. I don't think it has anything to do with the system itself. The noise is eminating from the diffuser itself as far as I can tell. And, I have used the system before with no awful noise.

Attachments

• photo 1 (112).JPG
    photo 1 (112).JPG
    99.6 KB · Views: 132
  • photo 2 (2).JPG
    photo 2 (2).JPG
    107.1 KB · Views: 127
I wonder if it's too small for your application? It worked well in the 5, but you're injecting more co2 now (since it's over twice the volume of water), right? Just a thought.

Hmm, valid point. I do have some larger ones somewhere. I suppose I could swap it out. Too bad though, I really like this tiny do!Aqua 1. Maybe it is time to bite the bullet and build an inline.

Gonna hold out though in case someone has an idea for a simple fix (not that there is much that can be done).

Did you ever fix this? I have the same DIY setup I have had since day 1 in the same volume of water and this past month it sounds like I have birds in my office. The chirping sound is driving me nuts.

Don't know how I missed this thread before. I had similar problems with my 30g with my eBay diffuser, once it got dirty it would clog up and make god awful noises. I eventually grew tired of hearing it and went with a powered reactor instead (red sea 500). I could clean it up and get it to make the noise less and less but never completely silent. Within a few days it would be back to screaming.

I just swapped to a larger one as rookie suggested and that took care of it. I never had an issue with it on my cube gardens, but I was pushing half the volume of co2 through it.

That's interesting. I had a 2" diffuser on a 30g long running ~2bps. That thing screamed like there was no tomorrow. I'm now wondering if it would have been silent with a 3" diffuser. Good to know.

Back
Top Bottom