Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-13-2005, 11:35 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

*Changing bulbs in a Coralife PC??

I have a Coralife PC and was wondering if my bulbs ever burn out 3 years strong knock on wood how do you replace them?? Thanks

Old 04-14-2005, 01:44 AM   #2
Smo
Aquarium Advice Regular

*edit*
Power Compact Flourescent (PC) should be changed every 7 - 9 months depending on usage!
My Coralife PC has a plexiglass looking shield inside the housing that protects the bulbs. This just slides out either to the left or to the right; depending on which way it is mounted. But, after 3 years of never being opened, the salt collection may have sealed it shut.
Good luck.

29gal BB | 42+ lbs LR | 143watts PC | Asst. Leathers, Frogspawn, Hammer, XLG Open Brain, Zoanthids, Mushrooms, Diploastrea heliopora | Blue Mandarin | Atrosalarias Fuscus | Pair Captive Bred Ocellaris Clowns | Peppermint Shrimp | 6 Astrea's |
Smo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 10:13 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Assuming you have corals or other inverts that need strong lighting, you should be changing your bulbs at least once a year. The spectrum these bulbs put out degrade quite a bit after 12 months.

Now, if you have a fish only tank, or just some live rock, then you can indeed stretch the bulb length out until they burn out. And at 3 years, you're already on borrowed time.
Old 04-14-2005, 12:59 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smo
Is this some kind of joke?
Power Compact Flourescent (PC) should be changed every 7 - 9 months depending on usage!
My Coralife PC has a plexiglass looking shield inside the housing that protects the bulbs. This just slides out either to the left or to the right; depending on which way it is mounted. But, after 3 years of never being opened, the salt collection may have sealed it shut.
Good luck.
Take it easy! Not everyone knows as much as you may. (S)He's asking a question and being very sincere, so lets not shy him/her away from posting further questions!
boardsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 08:06 PM   #5
Smo
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks for keeping me inline boardsurfer. You are correct! I just always assume that someone with 3 or more years of experience in this hobby should already know this answer.
But, as I myself have come to find out, that after almost 20 years dedicated to wet pets; I still learn a few new things about this hobby each and every day.
29gal BB | 42+ lbs LR | 143watts PC | Asst. Leathers, Frogspawn, Hammer, XLG Open Brain, Zoanthids, Mushrooms, Diploastrea heliopora | Blue Mandarin | Atrosalarias Fuscus | Pair Captive Bred Ocellaris Clowns | Peppermint Shrimp | 6 Astrea's |
Smo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 12:11 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks, Smo

boardsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bulb, bulbs, changing, coral, coralife

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com