Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-31-2011, 08:28 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

if you decide that you want a carbon filter or two to have on hand if you need to get medication or something out of the water most LFS carry bulk filters for a dollar or two but you have to ask for them

Old 10-31-2011, 08:29 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to black hills tj Send a message via MSN to black hills tj Send a message via Yahoo to black hills tj
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gboy66 View Post
So i can just double up the poly and put it in?
Should be fine, really.

http://www.bhtj.net
black hills tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 08:29 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to black hills tj Send a message via MSN to black hills tj Send a message via Yahoo to black hills tj
Quote:
Originally Posted by Convict2161 View Post
So you really don't need those expensive marineland carbon filled filter replacements then? Would save a ton of money! My filter has slots for 4 filters. Guess they just want you to keep buying.

Love how it says "make sure to replace every 2 weeks" seems crazy.
Like I said, Carbon is useful for removing tannins, chemical contaminants, and medication from the water column...but other than that, its not really worth replacing.

http://www.bhtj.net
black hills tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 09:25 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by black hills tj

Like I said, Carbon is useful for removing tannins, chemical contaminants, and medication from the water column...but other than that, its not really worth replacing.
Ok good. I got a roll of 1/8 inch per sheet. So if i doubled that to make 1/4 would that be good enough?
Old 10-31-2011, 09:26 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convict2161
So you really don't need those expensive marineland carbon filled filter replacements then? Would save a ton of money! My filter has slots for 4 filters. Guess they just want you to keep buying.

Love how it says "make sure to replace every 2 weeks" seems crazy.
Ya. A roll of the stuff cost me 8 bucks. Add carbon thats another couple dollars. At this rate, i could probably make 50 of these for a total of 12 dollars. Cheap huh? This hobby is all about saving the money
Old 11-01-2011, 09:44 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice Activist

That is very interesting about carbon absorbing fertilizers!
I have two of those "cut to fit" sheets, one is a mechanical material, the other is actually a cut to fit carbon sheet weave.
I have never seen it before and I doubt it is as effective as carbon granuals but I gave it a try.

I do have plants and am using Sechem Flourish Excel and Fertilizer.
So, if a carbon filter absorbs it, should I remove it?
It has been in my Fluval FX5 canister filter for a few weeks now and if I am reading these comments correctly, carbon loses its effectiveness rather quickly anyway.

Also, if I we're to use Purigen granuals in filter bags inside my canister filter, would they absorb the fertilizer and Flourish Excel too? They are supposed to be similar to carbon, but much longer lasting and renewable to a point - at least according to the manufacturer!

Thanks for any clarification...I am new to planted tanks.

Tony
Old 11-01-2011, 11:48 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Togliat
That is very interesting about carbon absorbing fertilizers!
I have two of those "cut to fit" sheets, one is a mechanical material, the other is actually a cut to fit carbon sheet weave.
I have never seen it before and I doubt it is as effective as carbon granuals but I gave it a try.

I do have plants and am using Sechem Flourish Excel and Fertilizer.
So, if a carbon filter absorbs it, should I remove it?
It has been in my Fluval FX5 canister filter for a few weeks now and if I am reading these comments correctly, carbon loses its effectiveness rather quickly anyway.

Also, if I we're to use Purigen granuals in filter bags inside my canister filter, would they absorb the fertilizer and Flourish Excel too? They are supposed to be similar to carbon, but much longer lasting and renewable to a point - at least according to the manufacturer!

Thanks for any clarification...I am new to planted tanks.

Tony
I just read some aboit purigen granuals, and my impresseion on it is that it it much better than carbon, and filters much more out. Therefore, i think that they would filter out ferts unfortunatly. Heres what i read http://www.4fishstuff.com/product_in...5be1c1cd698f6c

I also have a lo tec planted tank. Any questions, feel free to ask
Old 11-01-2011, 04:23 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well I did my 50% wc and just rinsed them lightly in the bucket of old tank water and then replaced.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 04:26 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convict2161
Well I did my 50% wc and just rinsed them lightly in the bucket of old tank water and then replaced.
Perfect. Saves alot of money, doesnt it? Buy any quilt bedding yet?
Old 11-01-2011, 04:38 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gboy66

Perfect. Saves alot of money, doesnt it? Buy any quilt bedding yet?
With my saved money that's next on the list!

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
changing, filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com