Changing Filter Media/ Broken Hood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ccondardo

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys. I'm new to AA but have been a advid forum goer on other sites. I have a few questions about my tank.

My florescent hood just died on me. I thought it was the bulb so I bought a new one. That one didn't want to light either. Is there any cheap quick fix to a problem like this or am I better off getting a new one all together.

My second question is about filter media. I had a real dirty tank and it was almost like my filter wasn't working. Turns out (I'm stupid) I needed to replace the sponge and rinse out the other parts. I learned after I shoudl have used tank water and not the faucet. I only rinsed the bio media and carbon pouch (I believe thats what it is) and replaced the sponge all together. Should I be replacing all three parts?

Thanks for your help!

If the light has a starter you will want to check that. It is about the size of a 35mm film can. Media should just be rinsed in tank water and replaced.

If it has one look at the number on it and buy a replacement. Any hardware store should have them (lowes, home depot). They are about $1. If that isnt the problem then at least it is very cheap.

Back
Top Bottom