Changing filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rscomia

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am changing to a new filtration system on my freshwater tank. How long should I run the old one with the new one or do I even need to? My thinking is the new one needs to build good bacteria before using it by itself right?

Well, what type of filter is it Canister or Hang on back? It will never hurt your aquarium to have an too many filters. I don't think that you have to keep the other system running because of that. The bacteria is already in the water and will almost immediately start making its home in the new filter.

Negatory lawnmower the bacteria is on surfaces, minimally in the water. If moving from a hob, one could swish the filters in used tank water to clean out the gunk then leave the pads in the tank for a while. If moving to a bigger hob, one might be able to use the same pads or at least put them in the filter

Also I am up grading my 55 gallon sw to 150 gallon sw tank and going to use my 55 gallon as a sump what is the safest way to do this for the fish Do i need to set up the 150 and cycle it like when i first started my 55 or can I just move the water from my 55 over and then top off the 150 with new water

Back
Top Bottom