changing media in filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

andreahp

Aquarium Advice Regular
My Fluval 305 filter (which has been running for 6wks) recommends changing the charcoal every month and the biological filter every 3 months but to not do it all at once. While I understand the need for this, how do I "stagger" the changes - I did a major water change 2 weeks ago & changed 2 out of the 3 bags of charcoal. Is rinsing the media in dechlorinated water sufficient when I clean out the cannister?

Reactions: HN1
if you want to run carbon it needs to be replaced every few weeks. It's only active for a while then yields no more benefit. Most of us don't even use it on a consistent basis.

For cleaning the filters (both the sponges and the bio-media) they tell you to change it every 6 weeks because they make money that way. When you do your PWCs, collect some of that water in a bucket and use that to rinse all the debris from the media that you can, then reuse it. You shouldn't need to replace any of that stuff for at least 6 months, maybe longer.

Never change your bio media out. Rinse in used tank water (or dechlorinated) every month or so.

Carbon is a matter of choice. Not necessary, but can be useful.

What do you use instead of carbon then? I just replaced my UGF with a aquaclear 50 and I am interested in what other people are running in them???

So it sounds like all those media baskets are there in the event you really need them for special reasons - like to remove ammonia, remove medicine, etc.? If you're not using carbon and only really need the mechanical and bio filters then that's a real waste of space in an expensive cannister!

Look at it from the manufacturer's point of view. More space = more media for folks to buy.... from them.

There are benefits to using other media, for sure. In most's opinions though, they're specific use only when needed.

One thing I recommend is to keep some extra bio-media in there (ceramic rings, bio-balls, whatever your preference). Then, when someone is starting up a new fish tank you have ample supply of seed material for them to kick-start their cycle.

i have to agree with neilanh on this one.... i almost never run carbon.

my canister contains (in order of operation)

1. pre-filter media similar to
images

2. coarse sponge

3. bio-media

4. 2x floss pads

thats it! and i have not changed anything since i set it up... i rinse all the media in old tank water about every 2-3 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom