Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-09-2012, 02:55 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas4701
Also can you give me an idea on stocking level, with no live plants in a 50g? What kind of water changeout are you looking at?
I would also recommend an API master kit. The majority of us on the forum use it. It's a million times more accurate than strips (and sometimes the lfs), very easy to read & convenient being able to test at home

What kind of fish do you like? Community or Agressive?

Water change schedule relies on your stock but like I said before weekly is pretty standard and about 20-50% as I've read. Your parameters will warrant changes as needed.

I like to over filter my tanks and some fish like Africans need a good filtration system.

Here are a couple links

Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium

The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/fishin...step-dark-side

Old 10-09-2012, 03:13 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Depends on what kind of fish you are wanting. Just regular old livebearers and such I would shoot for 5x the filtration so 50x5=250. Now for african cichlids I would go for around 10x the filtration. Not sure what people reccomend for new world cichlids, and fish like a betta can't have a strong current cause they need to come to the surface for air. I've got a horribly overstocked 46g bf community tank and I'm doing about 75% pwc once a week. I can list my stock if you would like, but I'm not gonna do it for no reason lol, I'm at work. I've also got a marineland penguin 350 biowheel filter and a marineland maxijet 400 circ pump.

Old 10-09-2012, 04:00 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

In looking at community. Perhaps around ten fish. I would like to have. I would like to have a good amount of snails and perhaps a sucker fish.. Good idea or no? What kind of filters now? The guys at the store showed two week type filters that clean up to 60 gallons... So I should def go with something better? What would you equip a 50 gal with?
Old 10-09-2012, 04:04 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
In looking at community. Perhaps around ten fish. I would like to have. I would like to have a good amount of snails and perhaps a sucker fish.. Good idea or no? What kind of filters now? The guys at the store showed two week type filters that clean up to 60 gallons... So I should def go with something better? What would you equip a 50 gal with?
Well I'm no good at community fish so I will leave that up to someone else just don't do a common Pleco, they get HUGE and require large tanks. Snails are awesome! I have a bunch of Mystery snails, they are pretty cool I also have a bunch if shrimp they are great at keeping the tank clean. Are you contemplating a canister or hob filter?
Old 10-09-2012, 05:55 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
10 fish wouldn't be bad at all, depending on what you pick out of course. Personally I don't like snail but that's just my own opinion. Id prob just stay away from the plecos and get a school of corey cats, but again, just my own opinion. How many gph were they filters you were shown? That's what you need to be looking at. Depending on what stock you pick out, that 60g filter may be just fine for you. Do you remember what filter it was? Oh and if you do go a school of corey cats, do atleast 6 of them, and no that doesn't count towards your 10 fish you want lol. Please, feel free to ask whatever you may need to ask. There are no stupid questions, remember that!
Old 10-09-2012, 08:03 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

They showed me a typical Aqueon that attaches to the back and said two would work on separate ends to add up to 60 gallons.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:31 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Do you know what gallon per hour they were? So each on was good for up to 30, correct?
Old 10-09-2012, 10:08 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'd say 30 to 45 GPH if I can remember well enough. I learned a bit more at the fish store. Seems canisters are quite better but are very expensive.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:10 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I'd say 30 to 45 GPH if I can remember well enough. I learned a bit more at the fish store. Seems canisters are quite better but are very expensive.
AquaClear makes great HOB's.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:23 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah I saw the hobs and that brand. Is the cleaning process on those when you change the filter quite fun?

Tags
changing, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com