Changing out water in your tank...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Douglas4701 said:
What do you mean by fish in cycle?

Pwc is water change correct? Im okay with that if necessary.

Tank if 46 bow front marineland. 36" long 18?"wide at the widest I think. Not sure on tall

Haha yes! Your tank needs to complete its nitrogen cycle :) it's ok! There is absolutely nothing wrong with fish in cycling if done correctly. Read these :)

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/fishin-cycling-step-dark-side

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/i-jus...g-but-I-already-have-fish-What-now/Page2.html

Was gonna say I can't provide a link cause I'm not sure how on the app and wait for someone else to do so but looks like someone beat me to it lol. I thought you said you had a 50g that's why I stated it was prob a 46g

Well this is good information. Of course I prob should not have trusted the word of a sales person. Now wondering where I can get a filthy filter. And get some of these things going. Ihas originally used a new tank destabilizer and water conditioner. The destabilizer is to be used daily for first week. So how might you go about getting the good bacteria transfer?

Douglas4701 said:
Well this is good information. Of course I prob should not have trusted the word of a sales person. Now wondering where I can get a filthy filter. And get some of these things going. Ihas originally used a new tank destabilizer and water conditioner. The destabilizer is to be used daily for first week. So how might you go about getting the good bacteria transfer?

AngelsPlus.com :) they sell active media cheap and ship really fast :D

So should i take back one or two of the cichlids? Or can they get along? Does the fact they are mixed have a biological issue pertaining to cycling?

Douglas4701 said:
So should i take back one or two of the cichlids? Or can they get along? Does the fact they are mixed have a biological issue pertaining to cycling?

Not for cycling. Oscars are Carnivorous, Africans are herbi/omnivores. It's really going to be hard to get the Oscar what it needs without ur Africans getting it. Too much protein can give Mbuna/Malawi bloat and potentially kill them :( there are several reasons why its not suitable for them to be housed together but that is a main one :) It is not recommended to keep an Oscar in a tank less than 55g and its really not good for Africans to have less than a 4ft footprint but others are doing small groups in 3fts and everything seems to be ok so far, I personally wouldn't tho.

Last edited:
So the yellow cichlids are prob going to out eat the Oscar yeah and I read they grow pretty big. So I should take the Oscar back and stick with the region of the ones I like yeah?

Douglas4701 said:
So the yellow cichlids are prob going to out eat the Oscar yeah and I read they grow pretty big. So I should take the Oscar back and stick with the region of the ones I like yeah?

I wouldn't say out eat, they just can't have the protein. The Oscar gets very large and your tank just isn't quite big enough at 46g :/ they are messy and bring with them a massive bioload. You would need a strict wc schedule (and a larger tank) forever... Not just during a cycle. I have to admit that I am biased. I love my Africans :) they really are great fish. Here is a couple of mine

Attachments

• image-4169975252.jpg
    image-4169975252.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 44
  • image-3096420492.jpg
    image-3096420492.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 40
  • image-2816283622.jpg
    image-2816283622.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 51
  • image-1762787905.jpg
    image-1762787905.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 51
  • image-3337676121.jpg
    image-3337676121.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 58
  • image-503510823.jpg
    image-503510823.jpg
    240.5 KB · Views: 53
  • image-1160107305.jpg
    image-1160107305.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 57
  • image-3164946817.jpg
    image-3164946817.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
How about this for a goodnight question which will be followed up in the morning? I like the bright exotic colorful fish... What's the best type to stick with?

I really like your choice... That's where I'm wanting to go toward. Here is one of mine I just took while we are at it.

image-1325449911.jpg

image-3175959758.jpg

]

image-1030593436.jpg

What do you think andrewspistol? What's your real first name btw? I am Douglas.

Sorry! Fell asleep and had to work early this mornin!

Douglas4701 said:
I really like your choice... That's where I'm wanting to go toward. Here is one of mine I just took while we are at it.

]

Very cool little guys you got :) Yellow Lab and I want to say male Kenyi but that face is throwin me off a lil lol!

Douglas4701 said:
How about this for a goodnight question which will be followed up in the morning? I like the bright exotic colorful fish... What's the best type to stick with?

Africans are definitely colorful! I don't really have advice on how to stock a 3ft tank because I always like to recommend a 4ft minimum, although there are members keeping small groups in 3ft tanks. If you could get your hands on a 4ft 55g there is sooo much more you could do, and stock. Believe it or not Africans can be very aggressive. They like to claim territories so you should put/build lots of caves and hideaways so less aggressive fish can hide from aggressors and give everyone a den to "claim". It is a good idea to stock these guys in a 1m:3-4f ratio. Filtration should also be primo, I really like AquaClear 110s. They have tons of media options and space to customize and have excellent flow for water movement. That's pretty much the short version of what I want to say haha. I'm at work but I can elaborate more when I get out :D

Btw, I'm Jess, very nice to meet you Douglas! I'm waiting for Andrew, Dino or MrC to chime in and pick up my slack since I don't have time to tell ya everything I want to... They are good people and very knowledgable!

I started in this hobby with a story very similar to yours. I came to AA after being gifted a 20g with 3 or 4 Africans, an Oscar, Firemouth, Pleco & blue cray. I was quickly informed that not only were my fish not compatible but my tank was much too small. I was faced with decisions like rehome them all and stick to community fish, upgrade and choose whether I wanted to keep Mbuna/Malawi or go with SA Cichlids. I upgraded to a 55g and went the African route and soooo glad I did! They are amazing fish! So here I am today with 6 tanks running, breeding Nyererei and have 2 150g builds in the making! This is a very rewarding and addictive hobby, I sure hope you will enjoy it as much as I do!

Last edited:
Hmmm,I will have to figure out something. Maybe i jumped to soon on the fishies.

Douglas4701 said:
Hmmm,I will have to figure out something. Maybe i jumped to soon on the fishies.

I edited my post above :) maybe but we have all been there :) good news is if you take back the Oscar and sharks the 2 Mbuna will be fine in that tank, you could even add a couple more until you figure out if ur gonna stick to the 46 or upgrade... Like I said there are people successfully keeping Africans in a tank your size...

I am going to stick with 46 for now and learn. I def will upgrade in the future. I'm already addicted. Btw which master test kit should I go with again, Jess?

Douglas4701 said:
I am going to stick with 46 for now and learn. I def will upgrade in the future. I'm already addicted. Btw which master test kit should I go with again, Jess?

API Freshwater Master test kit :) not strips! The liquid one!

With Africans research is very very important before buying anything. The sharks, kenyi and Oscar need to be rehomed. The sharks and Oscar get humongous and a really big tank would be needed to keep them successfully. The kenyi's get to be 6" witch is to big for that footprint of a tank with Africans. Plus they are very aggressive when mature and will more than likely kill all the others till one is left.

The yellow labs are pushing the size limit a little but will hopefully be fine. You need to look at some smaller species and less aggressive such as afra cobue that stay around the 3-4" marker.
And/or
maingano

Just remember think small

Last edited:
What other fish would you suggest for the 46 which may hit the colorful range?

Back
Top Bottom