Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-12-2012, 02:56 AM   #51
Aquarium Advice Freak

How about this for a goodnight question which will be followed up in the morning? I like the bright exotic colorful fish... What's the best type to stick with?

Old 10-12-2012, 03:00 AM   #52
Aquarium Advice Freak

I really like your choice... That's where I'm wanting to go toward. Here is one of mine I just took while we are at it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1325449911.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	150.7 KB
ID:	124416

Name:	image-3175959758.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	124417

]

Name:	image-1030593436.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	124418

Old 10-12-2012, 01:29 PM   #53
Aquarium Advice Freak

What do you think andrewspistol? What's your real first name btw? I am Douglas.
Old 10-12-2012, 02:06 PM   #54
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sorry! Fell asleep and had to work early this mornin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas4701
I really like your choice... That's where I'm wanting to go toward. Here is one of mine I just took while we are at it.

]
Very cool little guys you got Yellow Lab and I want to say male Kenyi but that face is throwin me off a lil lol!

Quote:
How about this for a goodnight question which will be followed up in the morning? I like the bright exotic colorful fish... What's the best type to stick with?
Africans are definitely colorful! I don't really have advice on how to stock a 3ft tank because I always like to recommend a 4ft minimum, although there are members keeping small groups in 3ft tanks. If you could get your hands on a 4ft 55g there is sooo much more you could do, and stock. Believe it or not Africans can be very aggressive. They like to claim territories so you should put/build lots of caves and hideaways so less aggressive fish can hide from aggressors and give everyone a den to "claim". It is a good idea to stock these guys in a 1m:3-4f ratio. Filtration should also be primo, I really like AquaClear 110s. They have tons of media options and space to customize and have excellent flow for water movement. That's pretty much the short version of what I want to say haha. I'm at work but I can elaborate more when I get out

Btw, I'm Jess, very nice to meet you Douglas! I'm waiting for Andrew, Dino or MrC to chime in and pick up my slack since I don't have time to tell ya everything I want to... They are good people and very knowledgable!

I started in this hobby with a story very similar to yours. I came to AA after being gifted a 20g with 3 or 4 Africans, an Oscar, Firemouth, Pleco & blue cray. I was quickly informed that not only were my fish not compatible but my tank was much too small. I was faced with decisions like rehome them all and stick to community fish, upgrade and choose whether I wanted to keep Mbuna/Malawi or go with SA Cichlids. I upgraded to a 55g and went the African route and soooo glad I did! They are amazing fish! So here I am today with 6 tanks running, breeding Nyererei and have 2 150g builds in the making! This is a very rewarding and addictive hobby, I sure hope you will enjoy it as much as I do!
Old 10-12-2012, 02:32 PM   #55
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hmmm,I will have to figure out something. Maybe i jumped to soon on the fishies.
Old 10-12-2012, 02:40 PM   #56
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Hmmm,I will have to figure out something. Maybe i jumped to soon on the fishies.
I edited my post above maybe but we have all been there good news is if you take back the Oscar and sharks the 2 Mbuna will be fine in that tank, you could even add a couple more until you figure out if ur gonna stick to the 46 or upgrade... Like I said there are people successfully keeping Africans in a tank your size...
Old 10-12-2012, 03:13 PM   #57
Aquarium Advice Freak

I am going to stick with 46 for now and learn. I def will upgrade in the future. I'm already addicted. Btw which master test kit should I go with again, Jess?
Old 10-12-2012, 03:16 PM   #58
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I am going to stick with 46 for now and learn. I def will upgrade in the future. I'm already addicted. Btw which master test kit should I go with again, Jess?
API Freshwater Master test kit not strips! The liquid one!
Old 10-12-2012, 03:43 PM   #59
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

With Africans research is very very important before buying anything. The sharks, kenyi and Oscar need to be rehomed. The sharks and Oscar get humongous and a really big tank would be needed to keep them successfully. The kenyi's get to be 6" witch is to big for that footprint of a tank with Africans. Plus they are very aggressive when mature and will more than likely kill all the others till one is left.

The yellow labs are pushing the size limit a little but will hopefully be fine. You need to look at some smaller species and less aggressive such as afra cobue that stay around the 3-4" marker.
And/or
maingano

Just remember think small
Old 10-12-2012, 06:27 PM   #60
Aquarium Advice Freak

What other fish would you suggest for the 46 which may hit the colorful range?

Tags
changing, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com