Changing pump on a CPR Bak-Pak - need tips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

malkore

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok, so I'm thoroughly fed up with the Rio pump that comes with the CPR bak-pak skimmers. I've cleaned it twice, but it only runs about 33% as well as it did when it was new. Bubbles in the chamber are significantly reduced, and any skimmate I get is weak, compared to October 2004 when I first set it up.

I've heard you can hookup a Maxi-jet powerhead to these and it'll do a better job. If anything, it's a more reliable pump brand.

So, I'm gonna do a little googling, but if anyone has done this and can share advice, including what model Maxi-jet has the best flow for a CPR Bak-Pak 2R, that'd be great!

*update*

Well I already found some info I felt I should share:
http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/archives/topic/584-1.html

and you can get the venturi adapter here:
http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merc...OD&Category_Code=Maxijet&Product_Code=MJ-VENT

I think I'll just reference the Rio that comes with the CPR for the gph flow rate, and find the equivalent maxi-jet model. Sounds like I'll need a couple of fittings to connect the maxi to the CPR intake tube, but that'll be easy enough.

Still, feel free to post any tips if you've done this :)

Malkore,

I am in the same boat as you!! I started doing some research..and discovered that the CPR BakPak 2R is now the CPR BakPak 2R+!!! The 2R+ now comes with the Maxi-Jet 1200 Pump and has a new design to connect more firmly to the tank and less microbubbles!!!

I only bought the BakPak 2R 3 months ago!! And I have have a huge microbubble problem..and I am getting very little skimmate. I will try to clean the pump this weekend in hopes to have to working better.

Please pass on any further information you have. I hope the Maxi-Jet 1200 will fit into the preskimmer box.

Looks like you and I have a very similar 40 Breeder tank setup. Hopefully we can get our BakPaks working a little better! My water is not as crystal clear at is once was.

I am real close to getting a AquaC Remora if I can't get this thing working.

WC

Well I ordered 2 of those venturi kits...at $4 each I figured having a backup would be wise...and I then padded my order with some cyclop-eeze wafers (that's good stuff).

I tore down my CPR and cleaned it yesterday. You have to remove the little connector on the intake tube (which has the little airline barb on it), and then yeah, the maxi-jet slides right up in there.

The skimmer design is fine. The problem is that Rio pumps are crap...in my case my pre-skimmer box allowed the pump to run half dry when the water level in the tank dipped a little too low (I have to top-off a gallon a day). Any time that happens, your Rio series will never run well again. I have a lot of hope that this will be the solution to my low skimmate problem. My water is still crystal clear at least.

I should get my stuff in this week, and since i'm all ready to set it back up, I'll snap a few photos, and then let you know the outcome next weekend.

Sounds great!

Thanks for spearheading the project. If all goes well...I will follow.

I have been search for more information. I found that Ameka Aquatics (they seem like a CPR clearing house) has a MJ 1200RV for sale. It looks just a Majijet 1200 with the adapter that you found a premium aquatics...

http://amekaaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=PUMPS_MAXI

Good luck...and I look forward to the results!

...and WOW...a gallon a day top off for you 40 gallon tank. I go through a gallon a week. You must have an open top or eggcrate cover. I still have a glass..but after today...it will be mostly eggcrate. I will disassemble my cover...and use just 1 pane of glass under light for support and light protection and have the eggcrate on top of that. I see signs that my cat jumps on the aquarium when I am not home...and I don't want her jumping into an open tank...or putting too much weight on the eggcrate without the glass support.

I do indeed run open top, and man does it get dry in Nebraska in the winter. I have less evap. during the summer months, as it's quite humid here.

And yes, that MJ 1200RV looks like it simply comes with the venturi kit I ordered.
I was going to try it with an MJ 600 cuz that's what I have laying around...its rated at 160gph...so its weird that they seem to push a 1200, which I think is more like 260gph, while the Rio 600 is a gph

I looks like you have the preskimmer box as I do. Does it looks like the MJ will fit? I hope so! I like the box...and mostly for the look...blend in with the black background on the tank so you can hardly see it.

I too am concerned about the increase in the GPH. More GPH, means More Water Flow...which means FASTER water flow..that could meam..MORE MICROBUBBLES!!! I hope that is not the case.

Also..the Venturi Kit for the MJ througg PA only says:

MJ750,1000, 900 or 1200

I hope it will fit in yout MJ600.

Keep me posted!

WC

I ditched my pre-skimmer box. Didn't seem to help much, and is the reason the RIO ran half dry...a gallon of evap. makes it easy for the water level to dip below the pre-skimmer opening, and the holes in the side can't match 200gph of flow.

I have 900's on the tank for current, so I could always trade them around temporarily, and order a 1200.

got the turbo venturi kit today. Guess what? It's the venturi kit for a SeaClone skimmer! At least thats how its packaged...but its what they showed on the site, and I can see how it'd hook up to the maxi-jet intake.
I'll be setting it up tonight after work. I'll let you know how it goes, and probably post a pic before I put the whole unit into the tank.
*edit*

I've attached a photo, and the arrow points at the single plastic piece needed to setup a maxi-jet as the pump for a CPR skimmer. It has an airline attachment, and then a simple airline valve to control airflow. Start it all the way closed, then open until you get a good bubbles in the skimmer chamber.

It's pumping out dry foam, and definitely has more power than when the skimmer was brand new!

Attachments

• mj_skimmer_mod.jpg
    mj_skimmer_mod.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 526
THANKS Malkore!

The picture was great! Thanks!

I spent 2 hrs cleaning my BakPak and pump...and it is working a little better...but not much.

Did it fit on the MJ600? I have a MJ600 that I found not powerful enough in the tank as a PH...so I may end up trying that out.

That is wild that it is a seaclone venturi! My local PetCo sells Seaclone Skimmer and replacement parts...I will have to see if I can find it locally. I always feel I need to spend over $100 when I do a goods order online to make the shipping worth while.

Thanks for the help...and keep me updated on your Skimmate production, and it you have any microbubble problems!

WC

Oops, no the MJ600 did not fit. The inner diameter of the intake is every so slightly smaller, so the little plastic connector won't slide in.

There are a lot of micro bubbles making to the final chamber, but what's making it into the tank is very minimal.
I didn't try the pre-skimmer box yet, but I don't think it'll fit. the Maxi is just a little bigger/wider than the Rio.

2 weeks ago I cleaned the Rio 100%, and still had very few bubbles. With the MJ, its a hurricane of bubbles. Had I been thinking in advance, I would've taken a photo of the skimmer in use with teh Rio, and again with the MJ.

Malkore,

I take it you used the MJ900 since the MJ600 did not fit.

Are you still happy with it! Are you having good skimmate products and low microbubbbles with the 900. I am just debating if I should get a 900 or 1200 when I upgrade.

Thanks

WC

actually I put a 1200 on it. the 600 didn't fit, the inner diameter of the intake was just barely too narrow for the venturi adapter to fit inside. so right now the tank has a 1200 on one side, and a 600 on the other...but I should be able to pick up another 1200 today.

I'm not getting microbubbles in the tank now. The first 24 hours, yes, but the cpr was dry for almost a week, so it kinda had to break in again. I never had issues with microbubbles in the tank before though.

Well, after a solid 10 days of running with the new maxi-jet 1200, NO microbubles are getting into the tank, and I've never seen such dark skimmate! It used to be dark with the Rio, but nothing like 'black coffee', which is exactly what it looks like now!

*update April 2nd*
woke up and couldn't hear the skimmer running. maxi-jet was fine, but the airline had built up some salt inside, and had stopped the airflow. rinsed it out and i'm back in action. I've heard of this happening to others, just never experienced it myself until now.

Back
Top Bottom