Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-10-2014, 05:25 PM   #71
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
Pretty sure this requires the led fixture to have PCM drivers. Non-dimming fixtures don't have these drivers, so this is just a inexpensive controller.
You are correct. This timer only works with LED fixtures from the same manufacturer as the timer. That being said, this manufacturer also makes a product called Orbit Marine which is a single fixture that contains 4 types of LEDs (8,000K white, 12,000K white, 445nm blue, 460nm blue) with ramp up and ramp down timers to simulate dusk/dawn transitions.

Anyone want to comment on why people on this thread chose the ebay 165W LED instead of the product from this company? They seem to be highly rated on amazon.

Update: I just came across this thread which sheds some light on this issue:
Current USA Orbit Marine

Old 04-10-2014, 09:51 PM   #72
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcham View Post
You are correct. This timer only works with LED fixtures from the same manufacturer as the timer. That being said, this manufacturer also makes a product called Orbit Marine which is a single fixture that contains 4 types of LEDs (8,000K white, 12,000K white, 445nm blue, 460nm blue) with ramp up and ramp down timers to simulate dusk/dawn transitions.

Anyone want to comment on why people on this thread chose the ebay 165W LED instead of the product from this company? They seem to be highly rated on amazon.

Update: I just came across this thread which sheds some light on this issue:
Current USA Orbit Marine

Since then, Carey, has purchased the lights and put them on her new 40b tank. If you'd like more info, go look at her build thread. Puts a good review on the orbits side.

As for the 165w. They are tried an true on this forum. Cheap, and they can grow anything you want, plus they last a while. Can't get any better, right?

Old 04-10-2014, 10:03 PM   #73
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
The orbit is not proven to keep high light corals yet. Generally, the lower wattage LEDs don't penetrate like the 2 and 3 watt LEDs most fixtures are using now. Not to mention, the dawn/dusk simulation doesn't do anything to help coral growth or coloration. It's just for human enjoyment.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:17 AM   #74
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to kdpuffer
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
The orbit is not proven to keep high light corals yet. Generally, the lower wattage LEDs don't penetrate like the 2 and 3 watt LEDs most fixtures are using now. Not to mention, the dawn/dusk simulation doesn't do anything to help coral growth or coloration. It's just for human enjoyment.

I don't totally agree here. I've found my lights ramping up and down to simulate dawn and dusk doesn't do anything for coral however my fish enjoy it. Before I had LEDs my fish would get startled when the lights came on and went off, now they will start to move around as the lights brighten.
Old 04-11-2014, 07:09 AM   #75
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Doesn't ambient light in the room do the same thing then? BTW, dimming just came out not long ago, and before that every fish keeper on the planet was fine with the on/off lighting. My fish don't complain.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:29 AM   #76
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
Doesn't ambient light in the room do the same thing then? BTW, dimming just came out not long ago, and before that every fish keeper on the planet was fine with the on/off lighting. My fish don't complain.
Actually I used to run a freshwater tropical fish farm 20 years ago and startling the breeding fish with sudden lights-on is one of the sure ways to cause parents to eat their eggs or young. I think that's an indication that the fish don't like it at all and that it triggers a stress response. Its not a good idea to plug aquarium lights into a wall outlet that is controlled like a room light (using the aquarium light as the room light).

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 04-11-2014, 03:57 PM   #77
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to kdpuffer
Your absolutely right X dimming is new, however in the short time I've had it I notice a huge difference. You ever have someone blast you in the eyes with a flashlight? It startles you regardless of how the ambient light is, same scenario. When my t5 lights would come on (usually daylight with fish swimming) the fish would dart for cover. Now it doesn't effect them at all. As for coral it doesn't really make a difference though I have noticed once my lights dim down some of my coral start to extend their feeders where before they would after lights out.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:09 PM   #78
Aquarium Advice Activist

I finally received and installed my new 165w dimmable led. I am pleased with the result. Great coral colours and great look! I love the way you can adjust the light to your preference.i started running them at 40% fullnspectrum and 55% blue. Does that make sence in a 35 gallon and the lights are 13
Inches from the top of the tank. Here is a pic of the tank under these leds. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1397264956.539170.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	179.3 KB
ID:	232848
Old 04-11-2014, 10:45 PM   #79
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Looks awesome! How'd you install them?
Old 04-11-2014, 10:59 PM   #80
Aquarium Advice Activist

I went the suspended way. I drilled holes in the ceiling gypse with gypse angkers. I am pleased with the results.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1397267931.826466.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	225.8 KB
ID:	232860

Tags
changing, led

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com