Changing to LED

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

anthonygaliazzo

Aquarium Advice Activist
After seeing many people talk about the 120w dimmable leds on ebay, i decided to buy them. I was just wondering if I should get the full spectrum or only the white and blue ones. Id like to have pics from you guys of full spectrum versus only white and blue so i can compare plz and thank you. I need to change both of my compacts so its a good timing to change to led

I have mostly blue and white panels but i do have a single full spectrum one. That one has a real pruple hue to it and in my opinion makes my water look cloudy even though its crystal clear. Blue and whites are really all you need to grow corals though, the extra colors are mostly for you and your preference.

Sounds like i dont really need the full spectrum. What i loved about led lightning was the blueish looks it gives. The white and blue will do just fine for me and ill run my blues higher than white to have the effect i desire thanks for the advice. Il finally have my head clear about not having the proper lightning for my corals

Here is a picture of the full spectrum Zetlight on my pico. You can see the purplish color that was talked about before. IMO I think it looks good and I don't have not noticed a cloudy water Column . I also ordered the full spectrum LED off eBay yesterday so when in comes in I can post a pic or vid of it over my 60g cube

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395027027.304839.jpg

I agree with Carey. I have a full spectrum and kind of gives off a cloudy look. But also gives off some really good colors. Some corals do need certain spectrums of light. You're fine with either one. And on my 30 I have mine at 45%

Wow the tank looks awsome under theses full spectrum! Carey could you post a pic of your tank under the full spectrum so i can understand what you mean by cloudy. I thought i would go with blue and white but after seeing this im back in the fog... Both look great

Lol I know what you mean! It's hard to choose. The reason I went with full spectrum was because the ultra violet spectrum (420nm) causes corals to have a brighter color pigment, but the red and green LEDs, as far as I can tell, don't do a whole lot for growth. As for the cloudy water, it could be that they have lots of little particles in their water that pick up the light or something. I know my water looks absolutely clear!

Thanks for the advice im turning towards them its really the step thats gonna make a difference visually my tank is gonna look so good under these cant wait to get them!

From what I understand the "china" LEDs are made with the same exact hardware as the most name brand LEDs made in America. The US ones will have more controllability and price but the actual wires, LEDs, and that kinda stuff are the same. They are also 55x3watt LEDs but run at a max of 2watts so they will last years longer

Back
Top Bottom