Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-15-2011, 11:54 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Cool Changing Water

What is the best and easiest way to make water changes for a 50 gallon freshwater aquarium? I know of the old siphon and bucket method and the eductor method using your sink. Are there any other easier ways to do this?

Old 11-15-2011, 11:56 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

One word for u "python" lol

Old 11-15-2011, 11:58 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

x2 on that...

http://www.google.com/m/products?oe=...ater+changers+

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 12:04 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

X3 on that!

Ive invested in a 25' python... I use it for both my 55 gallon and my 5 gallon. I just wish I had bought the 50 footer! I could use it for my 46 gallon in the bedroom!

55 gallon, 46 gallon, 10 gallon, 5 gallon, 2.5 gallon
Talvari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 12:21 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talvari
X3 on that!

Ive invested in a 25' python... I use it for both my 55 gallon and my 5 gallon. I just wish I had bought the 50 footer! I could use it for my 46 gallon in the bedroom!
You can always just buy the hose. Then hook up the adapters to it and your done. When you need it shorter just change the hose.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 01:52 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Depending on where the tank is, a siphon to a drain such as a bathtub may be the easiest. Pythons are okay but waste a lot of water if you use them like a pump and aren't ideal for refilling. As well they are expensive for what you get.
Another alternative is to pump the water out using a small submersible pump with a hose going to drain.
I use separate drain and fill hoses, and have various diameter/size hoses for different tanks. My fill hose has a gooseneck on the end that allows it to hang on the tank and terminates in a tee, so I can fill very quickly if I want. I often have one tank draining while another is filling. In my situation, a Python would be too slow and wasteful of water as well as totally unnecessary.
Old 11-15-2011, 02:11 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Do you do gravel vacs separately from your draining? If you can find a way to keep the hose above the sink until it gets to it, it will drain much faster. The problem is when it has to go back up gravity slows it done and sometimes doesn't even drain at all.

My dad had the same set up you have one hose to go to a drain the another for the sink. Once I bought the python he started to use it because it did the gravel vacs as well and he thought it wasn't so clustered.

By each way has there pros and cons in my eyes.
Old 11-15-2011, 02:40 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm with you guys have a 3/4 python to vacuum and drain and a 1/2 clear tubing to fill. One last thing is always go big in the aquarium world. You will always be evolving
Old 11-15-2011, 05:26 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

I have a normal garden hose that I attached to my gravel vac with a garden hose connector. Put one end out the window and drain into the garden. Then to refill I have a rubber plug thing that goes on those shower hoses you can connect to the bath tap, on the other end. It's goes straight onto the kitchen tap to do the refill. Cost me $2 in parts and the rest I had laying around. Does the job just as well as the expensive ones.

Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
changing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com