Cheap 5g bucket with lid from walmart

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Terrance

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 5g bucket from walmart that I've been using constantly for manually topping off for my freshwater tank. No ill effects that I've noticed.

Are these cheap 5g buckets safe to use as an ATO? I never thought about it. Any chemicals that I should be aware of? Do any of you guys use these buckets?

I know there are the basic buckets and some that are food grade that don't contain dyes which potentially could leach, most buckets sold in home improvement stores are not food grade unless otherwise noted. This is for human consumption as to wether it would hurt fish I don't know, but I've transported hundreds of fish without issues in my trusty orange Homer(not food grade) buckets from Home Cheapo.

Home Depot does sell food grade white 5g buckets for $4.98 when I was there last week, if your concerned I'd get one of those.

Well there are people that say they leach phosphates but I have one from Home Depot and it has never tested positive for phoshates per Hanna checker. I was mixing sw in one. I don't use it anymore but only because I have tons of buckets. If your concerned, let ro water sit in it for a few days and test.

Back
Top Bottom