Cheap canister filters on ebay?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paxdaddy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Anyone have any experience with the cheap no name canister filters from eBay? Been looking at them and they are pretty cheap? Just wondering how well they work.

Get a sunsun off amazon, i just set one up, they have a solid track record.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If you post which filters your interested in we can give you better opinions.

I've got 4 of them - they're great filters for the price. I've had great experiences buying from the eBay vendors. They are quick to resolve problems.

I should probably share the problems I had :)

I cracked an elbow piece setting it up - they sent me out a new one free of charge.

I bought one that didn't have the surface skimmer pictured, and so it didn't come with the filter. I had just assumed they all came with the surface skimmer piece. They sent me one anyway, free of charge.

I bought one that leaked out of the box. After some trouble shooting, they sent me out abother and told me to keep the leaky one, free of charge. Since I have 2 filters in use of that model, it's nice to have some extra parts.

I've got 4 of them - they're great filters for the price. I've had great experiences buying from the eBay vendors. They are quick to resolve problems. I should probably share the problems I had :) I cracked an elbow piece setting it up - they sent me out a new one free of charge. I bought one that didn't have the surface skimmer pictured, and so it didn't come with the filter. I had just assumed they all came with the surface skimmer piece. They sent me one anyway, free of charge. I bought one that leaked out of the box. After some trouble shooting, they sent me out abother and told me to keep the leaky one, free of charge. Since I have 2 filters in use of that model, it's nice to have some extra parts.

The eBay filters? Or the sunsuns?

Get a sunsun off amazon, i just set one up, they have a solid track record. Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You like it? Which one did you get and what size tank is it on? Is the flow pretty strong?

The eBay filters? Or the sunsuns?

The sunsuns on eBay. They are the same filters as on amazon, and that are sold as aquatop.

I have all the sizes. If at all possible don't get the UV models - they are not effective against anything more than green water, if it can even do that.

For a 20 long.....I think I would go with the lower flow eheim. I think the linked filter would be too much current for many stocks.

You like it? Which one did you get and what size tank is it on? Is the flow pretty strong?

i do like it, i got the 303b, did not get media though, it comes with the uv, a optional skimmer and all the parts for intake and spray bar, although they are cheap parts they work fine, just be gentle when assembling.

So would this be my best choice for a 20 long? Or a different one?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00892EN22/ref=mlt_base_B00892EN22

I'd say the 302b (250ish gph) would be a great fit!

There are two massive problems with the built in UV - the power of the bulb and the flow rate of the filter; the two are inversely related. You can have a weak bulb, like that which is in the filter, and a long exposure time and have it be effective. Green killing machine is a good example of this. Or you can have a powerful bulb with a shorter exposure time be effective. What's not effective is a low powered bulb with a low exposure time, which is what you get with the built in units.

If it's the B models that have the UV, then it's the A models that do not.

If you want to run UV, then I would highly recommend getting an actual UV unit. The fact that the plain UV units cost more than the filters with the built in UVs should speak volumes about their quality.

It's probably useless but it may help a little bit, it's not like a massive extra cost or anything.

+1 on the sunsun I have 2 of the 303b on a 55gal and it keeps it crystal clear and cheaper than most name brand hob's I had 2 aquaclear 70's and the sunsun's blow them away and they're dead silent and when your pad get too dirty you can use poly fill as filter media saves a lot of money

Sent from my SM-N900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom