Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-27-2011, 08:46 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Chriznat20
Cheap filter cartridges for Marineland HOB's

I dont know if you folks knew this, I didnt (oops!) but I just got back from my local Wal-Mart. I was browsing the fish supplies looking for some new plastic plants when I saw "Aquatech" filter cartridges.

The picture on the front of the box showed a power filter that looked JUST Like my Penguin filter, sans the bio-wheel. A quick google search on my smart phone revealed that Aquatech is Marineland's BUDGET brand!

You can get a 6 pack of filter cartridges for $10 at Wal-mart, compared to $15 or so at other places. I opened the filter cartridge box, they are identical in every way to the Marineland brand (they should be - they are probably manufactured the same but put into different boxes).

Linky:
Walmart.com: AquaTech20/40-30/60 Filter Cartridge 3pk: Fish

The link displays the 3 pack, but at the WM I was at they had a 6-pack for $10.57.

This is great for those that hate paying a lot of money for the replacement cartridges when they are no longer rinse-able, or dont want to make their own.

Old 11-27-2011, 08:48 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Instead of using the cartridges, you could just get filter floss and cut it to fit your filter. That's what I do, and I just rinse it to keep all the bb alive instead of replacing the whole thing. I'm pretty sure that's what most people do here...

Old 11-27-2011, 08:53 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishkeeper26 View Post
Instead of using the cartridges, you could just get filter floss and cut it to fit your filter. That's what I do, and I just rinse it to keep all the bb alive instead of replacing the whole thing. I'm pretty sure that's what most people do here...
Thats what I do too

But I was posting for those who dont want to make their own. We discussed this in a thread the other day... some people just arent interested in messing with the floss, etc.. I like it because I think the floss lasts a lot longer but hey, I always say to people - YMMV.
Old 11-27-2011, 08:54 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh haha yeah, I used to do the whole cartridge thing and actually used an aquatech one in my marineland because I was out of the marineland ones. I didn't know they were the same company!
Old 11-27-2011, 08:58 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishkeeper26 View Post
Oh haha yeah, I used to do the whole cartridge thing and actually used an aquatech one in my marineland because I was out of the marineland ones. I didn't know they were the same company!
lol!! Well you discovered that way before I did!

The Marineland filter media that you can buy at the LFS is soooooo much longer lasting than the Marineland cartridges themselves too.
Old 11-27-2011, 08:58 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks for the info I learned two things where to buy cheap cart also how I use floss !! Lol
Old 11-27-2011, 09:01 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via Yahoo to George9
Thanks, I've never heard of aquatech! I wish I would've known when I used a biowheel
Old 11-27-2011, 09:07 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Is it any certain kind of filter floss or any will do?
Old 11-27-2011, 09:18 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0el1212 View Post
Is it any certain kind of filter floss or any will do?
Joel, to make your own cartridges, I posted a very basic, tutorial here with a picture of the marineland floss:
Filter Cartridge Replacement

You can also check youtube.

I will make a new thread with pictures, when my cartridge goes bad on my Emperor. That might be a while though.....lol
Old 11-27-2011, 09:46 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Cool thanks!! 

Tags
cartridge, filter, hob, marineland

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com