Cheap glass top vs. cheap plastic top

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Polyhead

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I just replaced the top on my gold ring danio micro tank (10 gallon, 6 gold rings, 4 otos, 2 amato shrimp, many plants) with a cheap glass aqueon top. Now the danios had been running and hidding (along with the otos) as soon as I turned the light on. Just replaced the top, made no other changes, and now they are out running about in the tank in the open. Much less skitish. Even my otos are out fussing about. Now the tank is much brighter now, the plastic was rather battle worn, and the fish are out more. Not the result I expected. Any ideas?

They'll get used to it....They just aren't used to being able to see out the top. Glass tops are far superior to plastic.

They'll get used to it....They just aren't used to being able to see out the top. Glass tops are far superior to plastic.

no no, the point is, they were instantly happier with the glass top.

Glad its working out for you.

I'll take a glass versa-top over plastic any day.

Yeah, it was a little confusing in the first post. Glad to hear your fish are happier.

Yea I should have said "now, with the old top everything ran like [moderator edit] from the light, kind of like those stupid [moderator edit] vampire want to be teens.":microwave:

Glad its working out for you.

I'll take a glass versa-top over plastic any day.

Yea, now though I'm looking at making my own from high transmission glass. I've got access to some scraps left over from a friends experimental high out put solar hot water system.

glass surface, making gray or black marks. Copper bottom pans rub off less, but do not give as good a cooking performance as aluminum. Heavier weight, harder aluminum marks less than lighter weights. Smooth the bottom of new aluminum pans with a mild abrasive. Do not slide pans across the surface; lift pan up when moving or when shaking as in popping corn. Keep surface protected with cleaner-conditioner. NEVER USE FOIL on glass tops; rubbing it across the surface also makes dark metal marks.

Back
Top Bottom