Cheap LED solution???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
tonedogz said:
A frogspawn, a star polyp, and a umbrella leather.

I have ordered some of these lights and have 40W total for my 29g tank made up of 12000k and 15000k LEDs. That the same watts per gallon of the same of similar colour so I'm hoping I will be ok for softies at least, glad to hear the frog spawn Is going well, hopefully someones got some of these lights over some sps so we hear how well they do under them soon.

Fancy getting another frag in your tank? ;)

Yeah I'd like to know if they work for sp's also, just for the general knowledge of it. I don't care much for the sp's but if I found something I like I'd want to know I could keep it.

These are a very interesting option if I get around to constructing a canopy for my 40B. I will be keeping an eye on this thread. Perhaps we can get more reports/images from owners of these products?

Would be very appreciated.

These are a very interesting option if I get around to constructing a canopy for my 40B. I will be keeping an eye on this thread. Perhaps we can get more reports/images from owners of these products?

Would be very appreciated.

Thats funny MrPillow....
I just finished building my canopy for my 40B. But I dont know what light system I am going to use yet. On all my other tanks, I have the dimmable led kits from RAPIDLED. Nice kits but they do cost some $$$$. Hard on the pocketbook after doing four tanks. Hopefully these led flood lights will do the trick and be a huge $$$ savings. I just want to use these on FRAG tanks. I ordered one 20w 20000k led driver kit off ebay from the user LED-HK to go on my 29 Biocube Frag tank.(TRIAL RUN) The 29 biocube has all varieties of corals. Once it get it up and running with the light, i will post some before and after pics.

Seeking Advice...

Hello everyone. I've been following this discussion for a while because I'm thinking of upgrading to a 75g and I want to use flood lights. However, I'd like to throw some flood lights on my 30g (24x24x12) planted tank to test things out. My idea is to throw 4 10w flood lights on this tank. Do you guys think that this would be enough light? Right now I've got some amazon swords, crypt, and anacharis (floating) in the tank. It's not really heavily planted, so I want to see if these lights will give me some plant expansion. Right now I'm using 2x31w T5HO 10k bulbs, no CO2 just excel, and the seachem line of ferts--comprehensive and trace. Any ideas are appreciated.

Hello everyone. I've been following this discussion for a while because I'm thinking of upgrading to a 75g and I want to use flood lights. However, I'd like to throw some flood lights on my 30g (24x24x12) planted tank to test things out. My idea is to throw 4 10w flood lights on this tank. Do you guys think that this would be enough light? Right now I've got some amazon swords, crypt, and anacharis (floating) in the tank. It's not really heavily planted, so I want to see if these lights will give me some plant expansion. Right now I'm using 2x31w T5HO 10k bulbs, no CO2 just excel, and the seachem line of ferts--comprehensive and trace. Any ideas are appreciated.
I think if I were you I'd go with two 20's instead of the 10's because if your going to upgrade your tank to a 75 you'll need the extra wattage for penetration in the deeper tank. Then you can add more later. I have 3 20's and 2 30's on my 90.

I think if I were you I'd go with two 20's instead of the 10's because if your going to upgrade your tank to a 75 you'll need the extra wattage for penetration in the deeper tank. Then you can add more later. I have 3 20's and 2 30's on my 90.

Thanks for the reply. I agree, there's no point in buying lights twice. I'll be ordering from ebay next week and I'll keep you all posted on the progress of the tank after the addition of the new lights. :)

TrixyEnigma said:

hey trixy if your doing a planted tank look for something @ 6500k it's the color temp most preffered by plants, the 10,000k just don't really do it for them may be why you haven't seen much growth

150g led

I have a 150G reef tank that I am in the process of moving. How many and what kind of these flood lights should I use? It seems to be a cheaper solution than the more expensive LED kits.

I have a 150G reef tank that I am in the process of moving. How many and what kind of these flood lights should I use? It seems to be a cheaper solution than the more expensive LED kits.
I would think you would need 6 or 7. Not sure about the wattage I'd say at least 30's maybe 50's the 30's are 7 1/2 in. long so 7 would give you a 53 inch spread with a 4 in. space between lights. Mine are 10,000k and 12,000k.

hey trixy if your doing a planted tank look for something @ 6500k it's the color temp most preffered by plants, the 10,000k just don't really do it for them may be why you haven't seen much growth

I've just discovered that after doing a bit of research. I have no idea where I got the idea to buy 10,000k lamps for my fixture. I'll be switching those out, but I'm still going to give the LED flood lights a try and I'll definitely post pics. The plants have been in my tank for over a year. They're alive, but just not growing. Thanks for the tip.

The true test is blues needed for corals and par ratings at different depths. From that you could maybe be on to something.

Back
Top Bottom