Cheap LED solution???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hello!
I am hoping to get some help in resolving a problem regarding LED floodlights. I know many in this thread have worked with these lights with success. I posted my issue in a thread with a link below. In short, has anybody been able to switch their floodlight from a 12V input to a 110V input current? Please help.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f20/diy-for-a-broken-led-floodlight-263912.html

Thanks,
Kat.

If I were you I would buy a 110v to 12v converter and keep the led as it was designed.

Thanks, thats a good idea! As long as the converter is inexpensive.
What about the one light fixture i already plugged in?
Is there a way to fix it?

Thanks,
Kat.

thecatisontheloose said:
Thanks, thats a good idea! As long as the converter is inexpensive.
What about the one light fixture i already plugged in?
Is there a way to fix it?

Thanks,
Kat.

You can get a very cheap replacement 110v driver and a new LED chip on eBay. They're easy to fix. Just takes a soldering and some fresh thermal paste. Some of the LED drivers are better than the ones that come with the floodlights. Many people switch them out just to upgrade them. You'll need to do some searching on eBay but they're cheap and easy to find.

Thank you for your response! The seller offered to sell me new 110v drivers for $15 each. I havent placed an order yet. Can you please clarify your comment about the led chip? I didnt realize i would need to replace that also. The seller said that i only need to replace the drivers. Are you saying i need to replace the chip because it was somehow also damaged when i connected the light to a 110v plug, or do i need to replace it because the chip on a 12v driver is incompatible with a 110v driver? Please let me know what is the reason for replacement of the chip.

The ebay store i ordered from sells combos of led driver and led chip parts, but 50watt combos cost over $100. If i need to replace both the driver and the chip to make my light compatible with a 110v outlet, it would be cheaper for me to order a 12v driver and get 12v to 110v voltage converters from a hardware store.

Regards,
Kat.

Sorry for the delay (family fun). Both ballast types use the same LED chip. If yours is still working once you put the new ballast in then everything should be fine. I just recommended that as a "just in case" option but seeing as they're so pricy... you can definitely hold off on that. Let us know how the new driver works out. ^_^

Hi Guys
Sorry to drag up an old thread but i was looking for some advice. I need to replace the lights on my 20H freshwater tank and while researching I fund this thread.

All the plants I currently have are low to medium light. They are growing well under 2 T8 bulbs. I want to remove my hood so that I can have plants growing above the water line.

I was thinking about using a 20w flood above the tank. however I would like to be able to mount it around 2 feet above the tank. Do you think this would work?

The other option I was considering would be using gu10 led bulbs.

thanks

steve

led

you can use 20w flood light but the par is not going to be that great for plants. its better to use gu10 led because on gu10 you can usually select the lens that you want such as 45/60/90 degree lens. for your tank 90degree lens is going to be good. i use gu10 9w led with 90 degree lens it has 3x3w led coolwhite-12000k dimmable. i am also using the same thing but with royalblue 445nm dimmable as well.

you can use 20w flood light but the par is not going to be that great for plants. its better to use gu10 led because on gu10 you can usually select the lens that you want such as 45/60/90 degree lens. for your tank 90degree lens is going to be good. i use gu10 9w led with 90 degree lens it has 3x3w led coolwhite-12000k dimmable. i am also using the same thing but with royalblue 445nm dimmable as well.

Thanks for the reply. How many bulbs would you recommend for my tank size? (60cm x 35cm x 45cm)

20 Gallon Lights?

I found this thread and thought it was a great idea. I have just set up a new 20 gallon tall tank.
What flood light do you think I need for a reef?

I found this thread and thought it was a great idea. I have just set up a new 20 gallon tall tank.
What flood light do you think I need for a reef?

I could be wrong but I don't think anyone has had success keeping corals with these light if someone else wants to chime in.

Hi everyone I just found this thread! I haven't read it all but at least 3/4 I think lol. I have a 55 gal freshwater planted. I'm thinking of trying these on I don't need high light just medium I think and I've love to have some blue light for night viewing. What would you guys suggest and do any of these come prewired?

Sent from my SCH-R760X using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Sorry, kind of a dying if not dead thread but for a 55 medium light tank you could probably get away with two 20 watt units and as far as being pre-wired I have no idea

there prewired but you have to add your own plug. I wouldn't get these though they don't seem to last very long. I had them originally and three of them crapped out. Replaced them with taotronic dimmable led's. You could get one unit for the price of the two other ones.

Thank you guys!

Sent from my SCH-R760X using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What's the white stuff called on top of your aquarium I believe I heard you can buy it at home depot

Would this be good for a 20 long tank?? Should I get 12 or 120 volts, does the light color matter either? For a planted tank and what wattage for a reef tank 90 gallon

Attachments

• 1393890335002.jpg
    1393890335002.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 92
Don't bother there a waste of money. I bought 5 of them a year or so ago and three of the 5 burnt out already. If you want something really nice look into the taotronic led's you would need two units for the 90 and they'll grow anything you want to keep.

Back
Top Bottom