Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-08-2013, 01:42 AM   #451
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

i searched entire ebay but none of these blue led flood light says what "K" are these light all is says is 800-900 LM(this what i ordered), one guy is selling same blue flood light but his light 430-450 NM( i m not sure if NM and LM is a same thing please let me know)

Old 04-08-2013, 08:00 AM   #452
Aquarium Advice Activist

Raheel, I think you are on the right track in searching for the specific spectrum of these lights. You want to make sure you have the different spectrums that corals need. I don't recall seeing a post where people tried to make sure they had reds, different wavelengths of blues, greens, cyans and a supplemental UV in there.

Floods are nothing more than clustered LEDs like this:
so you have to make sure you got more than just one spectrum type in there.

I would suggest that the D120 lights are awefully cheap and comparable to floods in total price. These lights are 120 watts so that's a lot of LEDs in there, equivalent to 6 flood lights. Many of them come with LEDs of multiple spectrums and not just the whites and royal blues.

If you are focused on the flood route let us know how it goes. I myself am thinking DIY at this point for nanos. (currently uses PAR38s).

cheers!

Old 04-08-2013, 03:42 PM   #453

if you check the 1st & 2nd post on page 1, the guy who started that post he applied some pictures as well.

if you do youtube search" led flood light on reef tank" & "gu10 led on reef tank" you will find couple of videos . i went to my local fish store and check out the 48" led light fixture for reef tank. all it has blue & white i checked the blue spec & showed them the blue flood light i order and they were like ya this flood light will work . but ill keep you updates. i even seen people using RGB flood light for reef tank. please check you tube videos..
Old 04-08-2013, 03:54 PM   #454

how about if i get led spot light bulbs the gu10 socket and put in a same manner as a chart with exact same spec..

search this " 1/5/10 pcs 3x2w Led Grow Light E27/GU10 2x red 660nm +1x blue 445nm 6W led light" on ebay and you will find the exact same spec light for $5
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	layout2.png
Views:	54
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	166019  
Old 04-08-2013, 06:36 PM   #455
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Who is successfully keeping sps under a 10 watt flood light on this thread? I haven't seen anyone. Most of the people on this thread are using them for FOWLRs and refugiums.

You do not need all those other colors. All you need is the blue, providing it's strong enough.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:43 PM   #456
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by raheelahmed View Post
even seen people using RGB flood light for reef tank. please check you tube videos..
Yeah I'm not sure if those RGB flood lights actually emit the right spectrum for the reefs.

good luck and keep us updated.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:50 PM   #457
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
Who is successfully keeping sps under a 10 watt flood light on this thread? I haven't seen anyone. Most of the people on this thread are using them for FOWLRs and refugiums.

You do not need all those other colors. All you need is the blue, providing it's strong enough.
Well actually Mr_X, the following study might dispute your statement about "all you need is blue". It may not be optimal for all corals, if the spectrum is just 450-455nm:

Feature Article: Coral growth under Light Emitting Diode and Light Emitting Plasma: a cross-family comparison — Advanced Aquarist | Aquarist Magazine and Blog

So yeah depending on what types of corals you want to grow and have prosper, there are specific spectrums they respond to. But if you want to be a generalist, then we gotta cover a broad range that the corals like.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:01 PM   #458
Aquarium Advice Addict

That article is incorrect. I am using straight blue and white lights over my tank and have been doing so for a year now, as are many other people on this site. They only reason I'm using the whites is that I don't have enough blue. It's all you need.
I am growing all sorts of corals under this light. In my frag area, I don't even have any white light and am growing various types of montipora, as well as lps and anemones.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:06 PM   #459
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayinaung View Post

Well actually Mr_X, the following study might dispute your statement about "all you need is blue". It may not be optimal for all corals, if the spectrum is just 450-455nm:

Feature Article: Coral growth under Light Emitting Diode and Light Emitting Plasma: a cross-family comparison — Advanced Aquarist | Aquarist Magazine and Blog

So yeah depending on what types of corals you want to grow and have prosper, there are specific spectrums they respond to. But if you want to be a generalist, then we gotta cover a broad range that the corals like.
Can enlighten me and explain the article and what you actually got from it? Also where it says that you need any light other then blue and whites. I really couldn't understand the article and TBO most of it for me wasn't even English.

I know people use other colors to make the corals "pop"

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:14 PM   #460
Aquarium Advice Addict

Nothing makes the corals pop more than blue light.

Tags
led

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com