Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-08-2013, 07:17 PM   #461
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
Nothing makes the corals pop more than blue light.
Totally agree. Was just saying I've seen people go for those widely advertised lights that promise spectacular colors. I won't mention names. But I've never seen those light ever grow colors just make a shimmer of colors that almost hurt your eye.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:24 PM   #462
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
And back to the flood lights- I haven't seen anyone show pictures of corals doing well and progressing under these. I seriously doubt you are going to be able to replace a 150 watt halide with a 10 watt LED flood, no matter what color it is.

Old 04-08-2013, 07:52 PM   #463
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

mr_x

mr_x i am not replacing the MH to 10w flood light. my MH fixture had 4 actinic light( all actinic light bulb are gone). i am planning to keep my MH and add 2-10watts blue flood light with that.

Mr_x did u do the youtube search i mention in my last post
Old 04-08-2013, 07:53 PM   #464
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh....well, that should work fine. Do you have them on the tank yet? can you see the blue or does the halide wash it out?
Old 04-08-2013, 07:58 PM   #465
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by raheelahmed View Post
mr_x i am not replacing the MH to 10w flood light. my MH fixture had 4 actinic light( all actinic light bulb are gone). i am planning to keep my MH and add 2-10watts blue flood light with that.

Mr_x did u do the youtube search i mention in my last post
I have no doubt that LEDs can grow corals. I use LEDs over my tanks.
What I am doubting is that Those 10 and 20 watt floods can sustain corals.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:01 AM   #466
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

mr_x

actually there is one guy who is using GU10 spot light led bulb on his tank and he even showed pictures of coral growing under these lights on some other forum
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=cTPIp6SSP74
Old 04-11-2013, 07:56 PM   #467
Aquarium Advice Addict

you are not understanding me. I am simply saying that a person can't remove their metal halides and replace them with (the same amount) 10 watt leds and except the same results. I am speaking of the images in this thread...the ones with 3 or 4 ten watters over a large tank. Of course strings of LEDs can keep corals. I am using leds that are running at 2 watts a piece......but quite a few of them.
Go back to the first page. A guy named TomStav posted a reef with 2 led floods over it. This is what I am doubting will work.
Old 04-13-2013, 05:05 PM   #468
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X
I have no doubt that LEDs can grow corals. I use LEDs over my tanks.
What I am doubting is that Those 10 and 20 watt floods can sustain corals.
I can say from first hand experience that they can. I setup a 10w royal blue and a 10w 6000K daylight in my brother's 30 gallon refugium (my old reef tank is now his sump).

Initially they were just for growing cheato and that's still the primary reason he has these lights over his sump. After fragging some duncans and green toadstool leathers he decided to try to grow a few of them in the sump. He found the frags grew nearly as well under the 10w lights as in his 75 display tank that has 2xT5s a 4 foot LED light with 3w LEDs (I forget the total wattage but I think it's 220w). He's using the sump partially as a frag grow-out tank and it's working out okay, although the corals colors are NOT as nice with the floods. No surprise there.

I probably wouldn't use these floodlights as the primary lights on anything but a small display or frag tank, but for a sump I can't find a real fault with them. They grow plenty of cheato as well as coralline algae and the corals are growing shockingly fine though not vibrant. I can't say (and I honestly doubt) that they would be all that useful for SPSs but that's just conjecture. He was actually only using the royal blue flood for around a month without much difference (good Duncan, toadstool and zoa growth).

I think most moderate to strong lights can grow soft and LPS corals but the floodlights don't seem to make corals look their best. I'm sure if enough effort was put into trying out all of the different emitters a good combination could be found. I have 6000k, 10000k, 20000k, royal blue and power blue 10 watt chips but haven't used them all over the sump for any real amount of time. The main purpose of the daylight unit is cheato and the 6000k light seems like the best option. The blue is being used over base rock to spur on coralline growth.

Putting frags in there is just an experiment. I know this isn't much to go on to address the question of whether or not 10w floodlights can grow corals. Seems they can grow some well enough but for a real mixed reef I'd still go with a nice dimmable fixture made for the task.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:17 AM   #469
Aquarium Advice Addict

Good info. Coralline will grow under a curly-q energy saver bulb, so you really don't need the blue flood.
What do the corals look like exactly? Are they faded a bit or brownish?
Old 04-14-2013, 05:37 PM   #470
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convict2161 View Post
Can enlighten me and explain the article and what you actually got from it? Also where it says that you need any light other then blue and whites. I really couldn't understand the article and TBO most of it for me wasn't even English.

I know people use other colors to make the corals "pop"
Actually convict, the article is there for you to READ. It is a rather comprehensive study. The article is actually SHORTER than this thread so it is a much shorter reading. The article can explain it much BETTER than I can. It is there for anyone wanting more info on how to get particular types of corals to grow BETTER, than your average blue and white lit tanks. The info is there for you to use, or not to use.

No, you don't NEED other colours. Your corals will grow with just blues. Read the article, and then post educated responses. The magazine and the authors have as much credentials on marine biology and reef aquariums as any of you, I can assume safely.

It's there for you to either use, or not use. Peace, and out.

Tags
led

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com