Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-14-2013, 09:34 PM   #471
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X
Good info. Coralline will grow under a curly-q energy saver bulb, so you really don't need the blue flood.
What do the corals look like exactly? Are they faded a bit or brownish?
They're just a little faded, and it's mainly the duncans. No browning, just less vibrancy. The leathers and zoas don't show much of a visible difference other than what you would expect from the moderately warmer visual color temp given off by the 6000k LED.

The cheato in on one side with the 6000k over it. The blue is more to the right. That's probably not the best scenario to test out these lights specifically for frag grow-out. There is at least one guy on YouTube using floodlights over small reef tanks. So far the videos make these lights look a little below average, but serviceable, for growing corals. I doubt they'll share the same accolades that the TaoTronics units are getting anytime soon.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:20 PM   #472
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Well, faded is what a lot of people complain about with the Tao units. Corals lacking vibrant color. What they don't know is that they didn't wait long enough for the coral to acclimate to the light. Even though to the naked eye they may not look as bright as say, a metal halide fixture, they seem to penetrate much better. They still swear you need multicolored units to see good color, which I have found to be nonsense.
That said, I wonder if this is the fade you are seeing. Perhaps these units are strong enough to grow corals once they acclimate to them.
I would assume that if you don't have enough light, you would see browning, not a faded look.

Old 04-18-2013, 12:00 PM   #473
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

yestarday i got my 2 10watts blue flood light. i took them a part and install them both beside metal halide. i dont have a picture currently but if you look at the image below you can see moon light on left & right side of the fixture. i took those metal plate & replace with acrylic sheet and install the flood light on them.ill post the picture of my light by this weekend. they are not as big as i thought but it does make a different in light. FYI i do not have compact light that shows in the picture below. my HO compact light was not working that y i got the flood light
Old 04-18-2013, 12:17 PM   #474

i got my 10watts blue flood light i install them yestarday,. i need to post the pictures for you guys but i cannot figure it out how. i tried to copy paste but didnot work. how can i post the picture,
Old 04-18-2013, 05:51 PM   #475
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Use a photo storage website, like photobucket or similar.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:44 PM   #476

this is my MH fixture
Old 04-24-2013, 04:14 PM   #477

i took the metal plate out that slide next to the MH and replaced it with acrylic sheet and still 10watts blue flood light on each side

http://i1366.photobucket.com/albums/...pse900628e.jpg
Old 04-24-2013, 04:19 PM   #478

this is when both blue flood lights are ON.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:20 PM   #479

i really like the result of the light so i order one more since i need one in the middle, between both MH
Old 04-24-2013, 11:52 PM   #480

this is my project will look like once its done. without compact light

Tags
led

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com