Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-24-2013, 11:55 PM   #481
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Old 04-25-2013, 12:14 AM   #482

PROJECT NAME: GU10 LED SETUP
this is another project i am working. i need your opinion & suggestion on this project as well.
i got a hold of the led manufacture and they decided to make me the led's gu10 bulb of which ever spec i want so. i need to find out from you guys if this setup is fine and also do you guys think i should add some uv lights and red/green. just like rapidled.com

Each bulb has 4x1 watt led with 2 coolwhite and 2 royal blue to give 1:1 ratio

Old 04-25-2013, 12:27 AM   #483

i am trying to copy rapidled.com for 75gallon tank kit.
rapidled pecs are
18 Cool White
20 Royal Blue
6 Violet UV LEDs
2 Red
2 Green

rapidled kit cost $450, & my project should be completed in under $200 (GU10 led project)
Old 04-25-2013, 10:26 AM   #484
Aquarium Advice Activist

Hey raheel, the flood project looks great. give us an update once you got it all together.

On the other project - who's the manufacturer and can you PM me the details? I'm thinking of doing a DIY myself and this might fit the bill.

Raheel just one more thought on this - one thing about LEDs is the narrow spectrum range they have (unlike other lights) so you might want to supplement your blues with a few of the reds, cyan, green, pink, UV and IR. I found the white LEDs to be quite intense vs blues and can tend to wash out the colors that florescent corals give out, from what I've seen visiting other people's tanks. Tanks with lesser white LEDs and supplemented by other non-blue LEDs tend to bring out more colors in their corals. This makes sense since well, colors we see are what the object does not absorb right.

Bright whites are for our eyes, not for the corals, so in place of some of the whites I'd put in the non-blues. Those are my thoughts thus far on LED light projects I've been thinking of anyways.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:19 PM   #485

thanks for your suggestion on GU10 led project Bayinaung. if you can tell me which one i should replace to uv, green, red etc, so i can order all at the same time.
thats another reason i wanted to go with gu10 led cause the cool white & blue spec are exact same as it use in most high end led's for reef light. and i can replace bulb easily without any soldering.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:04 AM   #486
Aquarium Advice Activist

So my thinking is, I gotta have the spectrums that corals need, and for my eyes.
Corals want the blue & violet which is the 400nm range: 400-500, and to a less extent red - 600-700 (some SPS responds well to this). Then I'd look at the spectrum analysis for the white LED you are using, and supplement the color ranges of the corals you want to have: is it green, cyan, orange, pink, yellow? then I'd go get those colors in there as supplements.

In supplements I'd take out the whites and add two of the additional colors you want to enhance in your tank, i.e. green, yellow, etc.

from what I can see you have 26 lights.
so I'd go with 6 blue and 5 royal blues, 2 violets (for the lower end of the 400 spectrum; some apparently falsely call it UV its not). In my thinking the violets are the lower end of the "blues" that corals absorb.

From 13 whiltes, I'd replace the followings:
2 violets (this means 4 violets in total)
2 reds
2 greens/cyan
7 cool whites/12k/20k

The one thing to note is that in that study I posted, they found that higher irradiance increases color in the corals, and higher growth as well (with good flow, and adequate nutrition for the growth). so you want to have as much light as possible.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:19 PM   #487

what NM should i use for violets
Old 04-26-2013, 09:20 PM   #488
Aquarium Advice Activist

I think 420-425nm is probably a good spectrum to aim for with the violet lights. That way, with the light fall off, you'll have 400-420 covered. Your blues and royal blues will cover the 445-465nm. I can see lots of violet and ultraviolets that have peak spectrum rated anywhere from 400-425 and up.

"ultra" violet is officially below 400nm.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:18 PM   #489

its been 2 weeks since i added 2 flood light on my MH fixture and i see some growth & my corals are loving the color
Old 04-29-2013, 08:19 PM   #490
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
None of those extra colors are necessary. violet, red, green, cyan....all are unnecessary to coral growth and coloration.

Tags
led

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com