Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-02-2013, 06:21 PM   #491
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Hey ive read this whole thread. i have a 120g fish only saltwarer. No corals. All i was looking for were some lights to give bright intense shimmer like Metal halides do. My tank dimensions are 60x18x28 high. I ordered 2x 30w 20k led flood lights. I have a center brace.

I have them laying directly on glass canopy and not much heat is being produced or transfered. Pretty cool on the glass side. I think the light is enough to light my tank especially fish only. Is it intense? NO!. Is it replacing 250MH No. Would they grow a sps 28" down i doubt it.

But that doesnt mean they are bad at all. They are perfect for someone who doesnt want to change bulbs be it t5 or MH. They illuminate well and fish like chromis pop well under the blue hue of 20k.

I called ebay seller and he's awesome. He said that because of my tall tank and extra foot long i should upgrade and allowed me to send my 2 30w back. He sent outs 2x 50w and 12k. Prior experience tells me that a 6500k-10k-12k will be brighter then same powered 20k or blue light. So we bumped down to 12k increased wattage to 50w and also threw in 2x 30w actinics to make up for lost blues in the 20k-12k drop.

Im super psyched because the tank looks like it has dual t5ho with shimmer now. With extra leds and extra wattage and brighter kelvin i believe it should be much better. But ill know for sure tomorrow and will get back to everyone.

Old 05-03-2013, 12:37 AM   #492
Aquarium Advice Activist

Sweet. Should be much easier on the electric bill vs MH.

Old 05-03-2013, 01:21 AM   #493
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
None of those extra colors are necessary. violet, red, green, cyan....all are unnecessary to coral growth and coloration.
I agree on the red and green but violet or UV does do s bit to SPS. Although you might not find the true 395nm UV LED diodes yourself, violet led does give a little bit more on the UV side of the spectrum which bring out the color pigment of SPS
oyf709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:26 AM   #494
Aquarium Advice Activist

It's my personal experience. I bought frags from local guys who have those colors. my tank's LEDs don't have them (My LEDs got blue, royal blue, 6k white, and reds), and I am not getting the same colors on my zoas that were there in their tanks. They had cyan yellow and even pink LEDs as well to help with coloration.

So, I am going to add those and replicate for my DIY.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:28 AM   #495
Aquarium Advice Activist

hey Oyf, you might want to read an article on light response and SPS corals. Some species responded well to the red spectrum.

This is one reason I am thinking of going to MH lighting. It's full spectrum.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:45 PM   #496
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Again, I don't use any of those colors and my corals are as colorful as the next. Plus, I'll re-post a study done stating that true ultraviolet light did nothing to enhance coral growth or coloration....as soon as I get to my pc.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:31 PM   #497
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

so mr_x do u think my setup which contains 2x175watts metal halide with 2x10 led flood light will be a good setup.(i posted the picture of my fixture)
Old 05-03-2013, 10:36 PM   #498
Aquarium Advice Activist

I think if you got MH then most of your spectrum needs are covered including UV because MH IS full spectrum. And LEDs do not come close to the intensity that MH achieves, according to a recent EPA study. That combo should be fine. I'm leaning towards MH if I got a lot of headroom. If not, then LED. energy consumption is not a concern for me at this point. Coral coloration and growth are.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:10 PM   #499
Aquarium Advice Activist

Oh, here's a really good well-researched paper on light spectrums that corals absorb. It gives pretty good explanation as to what spectrums corals absorb and why. The good news here is that since 2012, better violet (400-450nm) LEDs are out, as per the article.

It discusses violet and blue (NOT UV, because its' 400+) and red - which is the most preferred spectrum for plants, not corals, with the exception of shallow water corals whose algae uses this.

Feature Article: Light in the Reef Aquaria — Advanced Aquarist | Aquarist Magazine and Blog
Old 05-04-2013, 04:30 AM   #500
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayinaung View Post
hey Oyf, you might want to read an article on light response and SPS corals. Some species responded well to the red spectrum.

This is one reason I am thinking of going to MH lighting. It's full spectrum.

Can you post a link to any official link about red spectrum help coral color?I know they will help coral growth in a minimum way. Unless you can pull out an article saying the red improves the actual coloration of coral I can't say yes or no on that.
AQ Spring Co Ltd

Ppl choose MH is mainly because the extra spike in UV not red

EDIT: well did't saw your last post, I will read that first
EDIT again: So I read the article, but I see most of the list are spike in the 400 to 500nm range anyways which means they all weight heavily in the violet to royal blue thanks for the article tho, great read

oyf709 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com