Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-08-2013, 09:24 AM   #511
Aquarium Advice Activist

Woa,
check out this flood light. This will grow corals. 144 watts! I like the ratio of blues to whites too. 32-16. Looks like it's got nice lens too. at $129 including shipping this can't be beat! Trying to find something smaller for my nano.

Star 48X3W LED Aquarium Light Lamp for Coral Reef Fishes and Aquatic Animals | eBay

Old 05-08-2013, 07:04 PM   #512
Aquarium Advice Freak

That mr x guy is actually correct. I have t5hos at home but at work I take care of a pretty nice tank with white and blues but 90 percent of the time its just the blues on. I have aussie buttons, open brains, acans, even sps, acros and birdsnest under these and they are growing at a very rapid rate. I've had corals from my marine biologist he brang in for example green spongodes that were brown from MH and actually brightened up with a beautiful vivid color in 2 months just from blue leds. That's no white, just straight blue from chinese lights we were trying out. Also mr x talked about it filtering out before it reaches 25 feet. 100% true. Actually red or violet, get filtered out within just a few feet. Blue is the color that travels the furthest and gets most penetration, except for white of course.

Old 05-08-2013, 07:06 PM   #513
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayinaung View Post
Woa,
check out this flood light. This will grow corals. 144 watts! I like the ratio of blues to whites too. 32-16. Looks like it's got nice lens too. at $129 including shipping this can't be beat! Trying to find something smaller for my nano.

Star 48X3W LED Aquarium Light Lamp for Coral Reef Fishes and Aquatic Animals | eBay
Bad @ss. I hope there's a dial on that to dim it
Old 05-09-2013, 09:12 PM   #514
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

so finally i got my 3rd blue led flood light. so now i have 1st-10w blue led,2nd 175w MH, 3rd 10w blue led, 4th 175watts Mh and 5th 10w blue led. and wow i love the growth and colors of my corals but i am seeing some red algae
Old 05-09-2013, 10:36 PM   #515
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

guys i got a hold of some quater inch used acrylic sheet. size are 32x32 & 36x36. i am planning to do a DIY project to build some nano reef tank.. but i need help since i cannot do alone and is always good to have 2 minds on a project. let me know if any one is interested & if you are from GTA .. Bayinaung.. i see that you are from toronto so let me know as well.
Old 05-11-2013, 03:19 AM   #516
Aquarium Advice Regular

So Tom (guy that started the thread) hasn't updated since last summer and his last statement was that his 72g was "in the trash". He didn't elaborate, that I could see. Did the tank crack? Was there a catastrophe? Or did the lights fail? It's a great idea, but there is not enough followup to say it works. ...and not enough to say that it doesn't. I still might try it. I like the idea of the 30w RGBs. You could dial in the spectrum you want, or have a light show! If you could find a programmable control that is compatible, you could program sunrise orangeyness and sunset pinkness.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:00 AM   #517
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by raheelahmed View Post
guys i got a hold of some quater inch used acrylic sheet. size are 32x32 & 36x36. i am planning to do a DIY project to build some nano reef tank.. but i need help since i cannot do alone and is always good to have 2 minds on a project. let me know if any one is interested & if you are from GTA .. Bayinaung.. i see that you are from toronto so let me know as well.
Dude! you're my GTA??? frick! LOL awesome! Hey join the GTA aquaria group. lots of guys there. they actually have a BBQ today but I can't go. its mother's day weekend and gotta spend time with family.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:05 AM   #518
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by IchthyChris View Post
So Tom (guy that started the thread) hasn't updated since last summer and his last statement was that his 72g was "in the trash". He didn't elaborate, that I could see. Did the tank crack? Was there a catastrophe? Or did the lights fail? It's a great idea, but there is not enough followup to say it works. ...and not enough to say that it doesn't. I still might try it. I like the idea of the 30w RGBs. You could dial in the spectrum you want, or have a light show! If you could find a programmable control that is compatible, you could program sunrise orangeyness and sunset pinkness.
Hey Chris yeah we don't know what happened to his tank. I think the MH and LED flood lights is a great combo like raheel is doing. I like your idea of RGBs. If you have them all on, then you get the full spectrum white right. Add a second blue only flood and I think you have the basic requirements of corals. I personally would like to do the MH and LED combo but don't have budget for it so I'm going to go DIY for my requirements for my nano.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:33 AM   #519
Aquarium Advice Regular

Just scored a 60g hex on Craigslist! It's 29 inches tall so it will be an ultimate test for lighting. I plan to do the 50w RGB for starters. This should hopefully reach to the bottom. I may add some blues later. I'll start a build thread and add it here later for anyone that is interested. May take a month or two... you know how it is.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:21 PM   #520
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Wrong current

Hello!
I am hoping to get some help in resolving a problem regarding LED floodlights. I know many in this thread have worked with these lights with success. I posted my issue in a thread with a link below. In short, has anybody been able to switch their floodlight from a 12V input to a 110V input current? Please help.

DIY for a broken LED floodlight

Thanks,
Kat.

Tags
led

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com