Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-21-2012, 10:04 PM   #51
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy
I was out looking at those and was wondering since you ordered from Hong Kong, what did you have to do as far as custom's and all that?
Don't worry about it, thats the shipping companies business, you just order & receive it... 90% of what you own likely came through customs at some point!

Old 02-23-2012, 12:29 AM   #52
Aquarium Advice Addict

Okay, thanks, was just that the website said it was our responsibility to make sure it clears customs.

Buffy's Reef Queendom has inhabitants of 2 Spotted Cardinal, Randall's Goby, Green Mandarin, Blue Chromis, CUC & Corals
Buffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 04:40 PM   #53
Aquarium Advice Freak

So I am going back and forth on this one. It appears that four 10w fixtures might actually be cheaper than two 20w fixtures. But a bit concerned that a 10w will penetrate all the way to the bottom of my tank.

The other option is trying to figure out a good way to mount the lamps above my tank (the 10w's I would probably rest directly on my glass toppers)...
Old 02-23-2012, 05:33 PM   #54
Aquarium Advice Activist

This is probably a silly question, but I thought you needed at least 2 wats per gallon to grow freshwater plants? How are LEDs different? How many led watts would I need in a 55 gallon with medium light plants and no co2?
So is it not the watts but the lumens or something that really matter? Or the color of the light?
Sorry for the question overload, I'm just a bit confused by all this lol.

I've got fishes in my head...
KlcoKN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:56 PM   #55
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinBlank
So I am going back and forth on this one. It appears that four 10w fixtures might actually be cheaper than two 20w fixtures. But a bit concerned that a 10w will penetrate all the way to the bottom of my tank.

The other option is trying to figure out a good way to mount the lamps above my tank (the 10w's I would probably rest directly on my glass toppers)...
What size tank do you have? I'll put a 10w on my 72g tomorrow and post a pic just so you can have an idea of the spread/ depth etc.

I currently have the two 20w just sitting on eggcrate on top of my tank, easy mounting solution but I'm going to put them in my canopy on my new tank once it's set up.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:00 AM   #56
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlcoKN
This is probably a silly question, but I thought you needed at least 2 wats per gallon to grow freshwater plants? How are LEDs different? How many led watts would I need in a 55 gallon with medium light plants and no co2?
So is it not the watts but the lumens or something that really matter? Or the color of the light?
Sorry for the question overload, I'm just a bit confused by all this lol.
The watts per gallon rule doesn't really apply to LEDs, at least not in the same way as regular bulbs. A 20w LED fixture is much brighter than a 20w bulb. For a 55 medium light I would suggest getting four 10w 6500k, just my opinion. As I said above, I'll post a pic of a 10w on my 72g tomorrow so you can get an idea of how bright it is.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:28 AM   #57
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomStav View Post
What size tank do you have? I'll put a 10w on my 72g tomorrow and post a pic just so you can have an idea of the spread/ depth etc.

I currently have the two 20w just sitting on eggcrate on top of my tank, easy mounting solution but I'm going to put them in my canopy on my new tank once it's set up.
It's a 75 gallon tank. So that is around 21-22 inches deep I think?

I don't want to mount the lights to the canopy itself. I don't have the canopy on a raise / lower system (and don't want to install one :P). I actually take it off and lay it on the floor when I clean and do water changes. But I will think of something.

I wouldn't be opposed to just setting them on the glass lids / toppers (probably add some little self-stick bumpers to the corners of the lights), just more worried about making the jump to high light and suddenly having an algae outbreak

Just a challenge of creativity if you ask me
Old 02-24-2012, 11:45 AM   #58
Aquarium Advice Freak

Attatching them to the canopy and then just unplugging them to remove the top is easy, thats what I do.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:58 AM   #59
Aquarium Advice Freak

I think what I will do is have them sit right on the glass toppers at first, and if that is to much light (i.e. Algae Mania) I can either attach them to the canopy (or other solution to raise them a bit) or make the jump to CO2 / high light.

The more I think about this, the more I am wondering if I am worrying about the wrong thing. Perhaps I should be more worried about not enough light than to much huh? :P
Old 02-29-2012, 11:06 PM   #60
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Here is a pic of one 10w 6500k on my 72g bowfront, I believe it's about 21" deep. The second pic is of the 10w 6500k next to the 20w 12000k for comparison. The spread obviously is bigger if you raise them slightly. With a 55g or bigger I think 4 10w would be sufficient for a FW or FOWLR tank. But for corals I definitely think you need 20w.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-457829208.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	79921   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-366265092.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	79922  

Tags
led

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com